Yamaha F60TLRD Bogging down

Mattic33

Cadet
It started when I took my boat out and it would rough idle then stall, but when I put the gas to it, it would run like a top at high rpms. I got home and checked the fuel filter and it was wrecked, so I replaced it. Then I took it out last weekend and it's still rough idling, but now the engine is bogging down bad. I can't even get it up on the water now. What is my next step to fix this problem? Or even my next 5 steps. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Yahman

Cadet
Possible water or gunk in carbs? You might try cracking loose the drain screws on the carbs and empty them. Pump the the bulb a bit to flush them out. Also, remove the yamaha filter and clean the strainer.

Mattic33

Cadet
I'm going to siphon out my gas tank after work today. It's fuel injected. So I guess a injector cleaning is in order as well. Hopefully this fixes my problem. Any other reasons it can be doing this if that doesn't work?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
monitoring fuel pressures should tell you if they stay in spec when the problem shows up.
there are filters and screens that couuld be a problem if pressures are dropping.

do not forget to open up and clean VST and the screen to the pump while you are cleaning the injectors

Mattic33

Cadet
Ok. Changed spark plugs and install a fuel water separator., but now when I pump the priming bulb it doesn’t get firm. How do I correct this? TIA

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
primer needs to fill the VST and Filter back up before the bulb will get firm.
if it will not firm up ,either the primer bulb is not working ,there is a air leak and you are not pumping fuel, or the fuel it is pumping is over filling the vst and going somewhere

If you installed the filter before the bulb, it helps to add fuel to the filter before putting it back together.
the bulb is better at pumping liquid than sucking air to get liquid out of the tank.

make sure the arrow on the bulb is pointed towards the motor and aim it up at the sky while pumping it

Last edited: