1990 Yamaha 130HP trim/tilt question...

fmt2bx

Petty Officer 1st Class
1990 130 HP 2 strokes Yamaha v4 ETXD

Symptoms:
When motor is running at or above 4000 RPM it doesn't maintain trim. Trim goes back to zero very slowly but surely.

What I can tell you for sure:

Tilt and trim sound normal , No grinding noises
In static mode, Tilt and Trim hold motor in what ever position I select for at least 8 hr.
No obvious leakage of fluid.
Reservoir is full.

I did use the manual relief valve 2 days ago just to make sure it was working properly as per owner's manual.

I did verify that the manual flat head relief valve screw was shut tight and it appears to be.(don't want to over tighten it either)

So the question is:
Could I have messed something up by using the manual valve?
Is it the typical symptoms of the system failing for a yamaha motor?

I only had experience with my old Mercury motor and when the trim was going bad it would go from working perfectly to not even holding motor in static mode for more than 2 seconds.

Thank you

Frederic 1 1 1

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
If the trim was working correctly before the release valve was manipulated then I would suspect that as being the cause of the problem. I would suspect that an O ring or seal is now no longer able to do its job.

You can try to unscrew and re-screw the valve several times to see if it will seal. You might get lucky. If not, the valve will have to be removed for an inspection. New seals may be needed. At the time the valve is out you can inspect the valve seat to see what is to be seen.

fmt2bx

Petty Officer 1st Class
If the trim was working correctly before the release valve was manipulated then I would suspect that as being the cause of the problem. I would suspect that an O ring or seal is now no longer able to do its job.

You can try to unscrew and re-screw the valve several times to see if it will seal. You might get lucky. If not, the valve will have to be removed for an inspection. New seals may be needed. At the time the valve is out you can inspect the valve seat to see what is to be seen.

Thank you Boscoe99, I 'll exercise the manual valve a few times and go from there. If 'unlucky", do I have to remove the entire Trim/Tilt assembly to remove the manual valve?
Thanks again

F 1

fmt2bx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update:

FIXED. Gave it a few Screw and Un-screw, went on the lake today and all good now.

Thank you

F 1