OX66 Fuel Pressure reading HIGH

Bluefish221

Recruit
Hello All -

This all started since I am having surging problems at higher RPMs. There is also no "hole shot" anymore. If I try and pound the throttle she wont get up without sounding like she is starving for fuel. I can slowly climb the boat up on plane but once I try and open up to WOT the motor starts surging and RPMS start dropping.

Sounded like fuel starvation issue to me. To verify that I took out the pressure gauge and got 60PSI?? I thought the manual calls for 35-36PSI?
It was 60 PSI as soon as I turned the key, at idle, and bounced around between 60 - 70 PSI during a bay test. Even when the motor starts surging it is never below 60PSI.

So my question question is 1) What would cause this high fuel pressure? and 2) How is it related to my surging problem! The motor is a 2001 OX66 250HP.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
if rail pressure is out of spec(high or low) the injectors will not be putting the proper amount of fuel into the cylinders.
there should be a pressure regulator that releases excess pressure

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The pressure regulator returns excess gasoline back to the VST as part of its job in controlling fuel pressure. There is a strainer/filter in the return. If said strainer/filter is clogged then excessive fuel pressure can result.

Too much fuel and the motor won't run just like it won't run if too little fuel.

2q33prp.jpg

Bluefish221

Recruit
The pressure regulator returns excess gasoline back to the VST as part of its job in controlling fuel pressure. There is a strainer/filter in the return. If said strainer/filter is clogged then excessive fuel pressure can result.

Too much fuel and the motor won't run just like it won't run if too little fuel.

2q33prp.jpg

Thank you Boscoe! So my first step would be cleaning out/replacing that filter? If that doesnt work I assume I would have to replace the entire regulator?