Engine swap

Bdivine32

Cadet
Hello all,
I have a volvo - penta engine swap question. I currently have a 226e which I believe is a 5.7L in a 86 19' sun chaser. I would like to know if I can replace the current engine with a automotive style Chevy 5.7 liter with a marine cam. I am new to the inboard motor but like the ease of the ability to repair most issues myself. But I do not know how the outdrive connection is made nor if the will be water pump issues. And the water cooled exhaust manifolds for the marine engine will mount with any modifications. The current engine is car berated and therfore not an issue. Mostly concerned about the outdrive connection and water pump and exhaust manifolds.
Thanx in advance for any help!

Last edited:

captmello

Captain
Your new 350 should work. Typically marime engines use brass core plugs, this is especially necessary in salt water. You'll need to swap the cam like you mentioned. You also need to have marine rated ignition parts including the alternator, distributor, starter. Everything from you old motor should do the trick. Btw, your aq225 is a 305, so the 350 should get you up a few more horsepower.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 86 Volvo used a light duty v-8
The flywheel probably won't change over.
Thus the damper or coupler won't fit.
Most of the other stuff should swap or modified to fit.
The flywheel is from an 80's Camaro v-6 (if that helps)