1973 AQ170 will not turn over. Not even a click at the starter.

gibbstobyj

Cadet
I had no problem with with last year, but this year I can't even get a click at the starter. I had the starter out and tested to be bad, so I have a new one in, but the exact same problem.
Over the winter I had the head off for rebuild. The only thing I touched with the electrical system was to remove the temp sensor and detach the plug wires. The only other thing I can think of is that I used some of that foaming engine cleaner so maybe that worked into some connections?
I have electrical power everywhere else (prop tilt, blower, horn, etc) and I've charged the battery. I'm at a loss.
I'm not a pro with this stuff, but with the right tools and instruction I can probably find my way.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on what my problem might be?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
It could be a case of corrosion taking place over time. It's probably enough to notice now. See if you can jumper across the solenoid to get it to engage and turn the starter, If so, then the problem is between the switch and starter. I know that sounds simplistic, but that's what it is. I would clean each and every connection. For the spade connectors, try some emery cloth or fine sandpaper on a miniature screwdriver. If you have the 3 fuse contraption, try swapping connections. If still no joy, start measuring voltage at the solenoid and at the connections. Work back from there. You may need to disconnect the engine wiring harness and check those connections as well. I had some that were so screwed up, I had to bypass the large connector with new connectors. The problem may be at the key switch, it might be the neutral cutout switch, or it may be lack of power to the helm. Point is, you need to track it from one end to the other until you find the weak link. Keep at it, you'll get it eventually.

gibbstobyj

Cadet
Thanks Pirate. I appreciated keeping it simple at first. That way when i get to the point where i need to take it to someone, I haven't already dropped a ton of money into unnecessary parts ;) I don't think i have a neutral cutout. I say that because last year I forgot to disengage and started in gear. Only have to do that once!
I'll work my way through some of the connections and see what i can find. I do have the fuse contraption: 1 port on one side and 4 ports on the other. It looks as though the 4 ports are interchangable, right?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Yes, they are actually fuses. You change the connector for a different fuse. No harm in bypassing it with a separate fuse holder if you think it's a problem.

gibbstobyj

Cadet
Well, after 10 days going by and not having any time to tinker I broke down and took the boat to the shop. It's an old school shop with a guy who's been working on these old AQs for many years, so I'm hoping he has a quick and painless (cheap!) fix.
However, I also asked him to replace the u-joint bellows and he called me today saying that the good news is that the bearing is good, but the bad news is the joint was shot.
Ya know, last year I told a guy at work I was looking around for a starter boat for the family and he asked if I knew what "boat" stood for. Nope. "Bust Out Another Thousand."
I might be headed there with this trip to the shop. But, the alternative is for me to do it all which, if I'm lucky, means we'd be in the water sometime in October.
I guess this is part of the boating life, right???