Milky oil in brand new motor!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: Milky oil in brand new motor!

Do you see any signs of rust around the riser/manifold joint? If that gasket failed it can let water from the cooling passages down the exhaust gas passage and right into a cylinder. I'd try changing that gasket, check the sealing surfaces very carefully and and crank it over again with the plugs out. See if you still get water. Is #4 the rear cylinder closet to the riser/mani joint?

robbyr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies. I called Michigan Motorz today. After telling my story of a previous overheat and subsequent motor and manifold replacement, he told me that it is probably a cracked riser. He said this was common with the 3.0. Does that sound right? Lou, #4 IS the one closest to the riser. He also basically told me that the warranty is pretty much worth nothing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Are you saying that they think the brand new GLM riser is cracked? Will they replace it?

robbyr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The motor and manifold are new, the riser is from the old motor that overheated.

robbyr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have an update. So I took the riser off to check it for cracks & found that the restrictor plate was put on backwards! It was put on correctly according to the markings on the plate, but Volvo put out a tech note at some point saying it should go on opposite of the markings!