Looking for Wiring diagram 5.8L/351Windsor

Willa

Cadet
Hello, Looking for some help figuring out the wiring for our boat. Boat orginally had a 1995 5.8L fuel injected Volvo penta, boat sank, trashed motor. Replacing with a 1974 carburated 351w, 5.8L. We are trying to do it ourselves as much as possible. I have searched and searched and not found any actual diagrams for the motor wiring itself. We have bought the new alt & starter but need to know how all the wiring hooks up. It has a three wire alternator. I'm not sure what, if anything, changes with the fuel injection to carb switch.
Would be grateful for any help!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Looking for Wiring diagram 5.8L/351Windsor

Hello, Looking for some help figuring out the wiring for our boat. Boat orginally had a 1995 5.8L fuel injected Volvo penta, boat sank, trashed motor. Replacing with a 1974 carburated 351w, 5.8L. We are trying to do it ourselves as much as possible. I have searched and searched and not found any actual diagrams for the motor wiring itself. We have bought the new alt & starter but need to know how all the wiring hooks up. It has a three wire alternator. I'm not sure what, if anything, changes with the fuel injection to carb switch.
Would be grateful for any help!

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Alot changes with that swap,...

I'm guessin' ya need a whole new complete wirin' harness...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Replacing with a 1974 carburated 351w, 5.8L.

Is that a car or truck engine? If so, none of the electrical system and fuel system is marine rated, and is NOT safe in a boat.

Willa

Cadet

Sorry, I missed the email saying I had replies!
Let me give a bit more info to clear things up.
The boat is a bit of a unique situation so nothing has been directly by the book. Its a 1995 with the 1995 5.8 Volvo but its not made as stern drive, its a inboard with a driveshaft to a 290 DP-D outdrive.
Previous owner kept at dock, scupper got stuck open with snow, stern of boat went under overnight. My belief is marine tried to get over on owner a little and told him needed to replace "everything". They removed motor & outdrive and put everything in storage for the last three years. Guy decides not to do anything, doesn't want to pay for storage anymore and sells at a serious loss, which was great for us!
Everything we have been able to check so far has worked fine. The Penta motor however is locked up inside and trash. We bought a used/rebuilt 351 Windsor (1974 block) that has been marinized and was in a working boat. It is basically the exact same motor aside from age and the fact its carbureted because the fuel injected would be to hard to find parts for. We pulled the freshwater cooling system, pulleys, pumps, manifolds,motor mounts etc... off the Penta that we could use on the new motor and have it bolt right back in. Other then the carb and oil dipstick everything is the same and bolted right up, more or less. We got new starter, alternator, thermostat, gaskets yada, yada, yada... We have had to do some guessing and finagling because some parts are just no longer available anywhere.
At this point we have everything bolted on and in the boat but the wiring is not complete yet.
I was able to finally find (due to another persons post on here) the manuals on boatinfo.com and will print them all out at work tomorrow. From what I can tell that will head us in the right direction at least.
Our main problem right now is we are not 100% how to hook everything back up, electrical wise. The alt & starter and all were removed from the Penta before we could note how it was all hooked up before so we have no reference points. Hopefully the books will help with that some and we will do some wire testing and chasing I guess. The engine harness plug and the boat harness plug are almost the same but there is one extra pin hole on the boat, so we have more holes then we do pins to fit together. I was looking for something to tell us what all the wires are for and where they should be going.
AND, What, if anything, with this kind of set-up would be different from the fuel injected to carbureted. As I said the motor is already set up and ran with the carb and its own systems.
The boat setup is very basic and all original Volvo Penta. We are only the third owner and the previous two didn't do hardly anything with it besides weekend pleasure boating.
Clearly electrical is not my strong suit and we are nervous about doing it correctly.

Don S

Here is a wiring diagram for a 96 model, don't have one for the 95, but for what you are doing it will work fine, the carbed engine wiring didn't change much.

You may have a different distributor, starter, starter solenoid, and alternator so there is no way to actually give you a wiring diagram without know what you are using at this point. If you have something different, just post with a picture, I'm sure we can figure out how to wire it in.

View attachment NC Ford wiring.pdf

Willa

Cadet

Ok, Done some wire chasing today, and have more questions then answers!
First, to explain wires:
Wire Colors
Motor Side Harness
Lg Red, positive
Lg Black, ground
Orange - goes to mech fuel pump
Yellow - S terminal on solenoid
White - BAT post on coil
Purple - dead ends
Brown - dead ends
Red/White - not currently hooked up but think it went to starter, has small yellow wire that splices into it near the end not hooked to anything
Green - Temp sensor

Boat side of wiring harness
Lg Black
Lg Red (12.2 amps)
Grey - goes to tachometer? (0 on run, 9.5 amp in start)
Tan - temp (0 in start and run)
Light Blue - goes to all gauges (8.2 on start and run)
Purple - goes to all gauges (12.2 on start and run)
Yellow/Red - neutral safety switch (0 on run, 9.75 on start)

So, that's 7 pins on the boat harness side and 9 holes on the motor side
When we first plugged together discovered some pins were wrong,we smoked the red wire, positive and negatives were opposite so we switched them. unhooked tan temp wire and replaced with the yellow/red and got it to turn over.
Still trying to figure out exactly what else is going where and where it should be going.

Question: What is the wiring setup for the alternator (Late Mando style, purple lead, pink lead, two capped posts, one empty post and one screw thing)?

Thanks for your help!

Willa

Cadet

Ok, I think I have my answer. I went back to the shop I got it from and asked. If anyone could double confirm, It'd be appreciated!
The alternator grounds thru the mounting bracket as long as it is grounded.
B+ is the main battery connection so wire from battery to post
Red wire doubles back and connects to B+ post
Purple wire connects to + side of coil
P is Tachometer post.
The rest we don't need to use.
He said some people run the main cable to starter and then connect the starter to alternator with a cable to direct the main power but it dosent matter which way.
I do need to find the tachometer wire on the motor though.

Don S

Depends on your alternator how the wiring will be, do you have a picture of your alternator handy?

Willa

Cadet

alt.jpg

I googled it to get one, mines bolted on already. Its like this one just not with alco sticker. it wasn't one of the cheap ones off ebay though. :)

Don S

Volvo had a change in wiring on the Mando alternators in the later models. And had a service bulletin on it.
The P terminal is used for + voltage on the electric automatic choke if you have it, not the tach. Tach comes from the -terminal of the coil on carbed engines.
You won't use the green wire in the picture at all.
Yes, the red sense wire goes to the B+ terminal, and the purple goes to ignition.

Mando2.jpg