2005 5.7 GXI-F, intermitant fuel pump wind-up with ignition ON ?

Al.W

Cadet
Engine SN 4012113432

On start up, turning the key to ON, the fuel pump sometimes does not turn on for the usual aproximate 3 seconds.
All fuses in the Fuse/ Relay box are fine, I replaced the Fuel Pump Relay and the Ignition Relay - problem persists.
With key in the ON position, there was no power to the LP fuel pump terminal. I did not check the HP terminal.
Engine cranks, but will not start.

Now that I think about it, the fuel pump wind-up is probably the HP pump. I will check for power at the HP terminal in the morning.

Is there anything else that could be causing the intermitant problem.

Thanks

Al.W

Cadet
Re: 2005 5.7 GXI-F, intermitant fuel pump wind-up with ignition ON ?

Update to problem -

Volvo has a service bulletin to this problem. There is an updated Fuse/Relay box with isolation mounts, seems that the electrical contacts within the old box were causing sporadic connection ( warm day, early morning (cold ), etc ).

NoExcuses

Seaman

Thanks for the heads-up. Did you have to replace your fuse box? If so, at what level did you have to replace it? I can't seem to find a part number for the fuse box.

Al.W

Cadet

Just replaced the part this evening. The Fuse Box isolator kit is part # 3808318. It included the new fuse box # 3863460 ( with all the fuses and relays ). From the volvo dealer ( who put me onto then the service bulletin ) the part was $195 dollars. Nothing like a bad electrical contact when you turn the start key, to ruin the day. Hope this is helpful.

cruiser37

Recruit

I think I may have the same problem. Thanks for your post. I replaced the fuel cell on this engine 6 weeks ago. This past weekend fuel pumps quit running again. I unplugged the pumps individually "Lo & Hi" to get them running. Then I was fine for several hours. Every time I turn the key this engine may crank or not. I just wanted to double check does this kit 3808318 include all of the fuses relays etc.. I'm not seeing what included on the internet. Thanks in advance.

Al.W

Cadet

Hello Cruiser37,

The kit 3808318 comes with all the fuses and relay's plugged into the new box. As I said in my response, the connection within the box is intermittant due to expansion/ contraction. Mine tended not to work on hot afternoon sunny days. The new box has worked every time since being installed. As a reminder, the fuel pump should wind up ( about 3 seconds ) every time the ignition switch is turned to the ON position, prior to the START position.

al

cruiser37

Recruit

Thanks for the response! I just ordered one. It should be here in about 3-4 days. Boats about 30 miles away at Atlantic Beach, NC so it will be next weekend before I'll be able to install it. Are there any tricks I need to know with the installation? How long did the installation take? Thanks again!

Mike

Al.W

Cadet

There are three cable plug-ins into the side of the fuse/relay box, and some round rubber cushions to mount under the box and under the new attaching bolts. Personally I left the bolts finger tight, so as not to twist the box. The box sits on top of the metal plate, right behind the intake cleaner.
I would suggest a tube of contact gasket adhesive to stick the round rubber cushions to the bottom of the new box, the new bolts drop thru the center of the round cushions. Keeps them from falling out as your trying to drop the bolts thru.
Should take you less than 10 minutes.

Good Luck