Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

2001 5.7 gsi pefs starts/ then stalls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 5.7 gsi pefs starts/ then stalls

Re: 2001 5.7 gsi pefs starts/ then stalls

Have you done the following testing procedures from the diagnostic manual.
    Chart A4 starting on page 6-18
    DTC-33 starting on page 6-46
    DTC-33 Scan starting on page 6-72

Did you actually check the boats fuel system with a gauge and clear hose per http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167561 ?
    Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Hi Don,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Ok here are your answers

Chart A4 starting on page 6-18 Yes I just had the fuel pump replace and primed per a Volvo Penta technician. All pressures are perfect 29psi on the high and solid 4to5psi on the low side.

DTC-33 starting on page 6-46
      Yes to step 1 vacuum reading is 18in HG and steady. no restrictions (our altitude is about 1500ft Above Sea Level)
      Yes to step 2 if I disconnect the 3 pin connector and run the engine it will give me a code 34 MAP sensor low voltage.
      Yes to step 3 Checking voltage between A&C voltage is it higher than 4.0 volts It measured 5.01 (key on engine off)

STEP 1: Turn off ignition. MPI Models Only: Tee a vacuum gauge into the vacuum line
      going to the fuel pressure regulator. TBI Models Only: Disconnect vacuum cap at
      throttle body and install a vacuum gauge in the vacuum port. Start engine and
      raise engine speed to about 1000 RPM. Is vacuum reading 14 in. Hg (44,5
      kPa) or higher, and steady?
      YES Go to STEP 2.
      NO Repair low or unsteady vacuum problem.
      STEP 2: Install CT tool. Place CT tool switch in the "normal mode" or "OFF". Turn off
      ignition. Disconnect MAP sensor. Start engine and idle for 2 minutes or until the
      CT tool indicates a stored code. Shut down the engine. Use CT tool to retrieve
      trouble codes. Is DTC 34 present?
      YES Check for plugged or leaking sensor vacuum fittings. Also locate and repair
      intermittent faulty connectors. If okay, replace faulty MAP sensor.
      NO Go to STEP 3.
      STEP 3: Turn off ignition. Remove vacuum gauge and reconnect vacuum cap. Disconnect
      MAP sensor electrical connector. Connect a DVOM between harness terminals
      "A" and "C". Turn on ignition, do not start engine. Is voltage 4.0 volts or
      higher?
      YES Locate and repair short to voltage in circuit from ECM J2-27 to MAP
      terminal "B". If okay, repair faulty ECM connections or replace faulty ECM.
      NO Locate and repair open in circuit from ECM J2-3 to MAP terminal "A". If
      okay, repair faulty ECM connections or replace faulty ECM.

DTC-33 Scan starting on page 6-72
      In this procedure the engine would need to be running stable for step 1 to be tested correct?

Step 2 Is voltage below 1.0 volts? Yes 0.01 volts

Step 3
      Yes 5.00 volts.

Your thoughts.

Thank you Sir.

Respectfully,

Dean
      Last edited by Hurricane 197; December 13th, 2011, 03:11 PM. Reason: miss spelling

Comment

Don,

I have answered your questions and still awaiting some feedback. It seem electrical to me.

Comment

bump

Comment

Sorry, but I really can't troubleshoot EFI engines from here. All I can do is suggest things for you to troubleshoot.
            Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
            That is what the forums are for.
            Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Thanks Don,

Question

Would you replace the engine harness? It is 11 years old and used in salt water all its life.

It seems to be the main cause of the problem, and instead of tracing down the faulty wire(s) and it failing somewhere else do you think it would be best to replace the whole thing? This harness doesn't come cheap and the labor to diagnose is expensive as well especially when the techs keep running into a brick wall if you will. For the price of the harness one could burn through that same money very quickly in diagnostic procedures.

Thanks again.

Dean

Comment

My 2c worth. The engine wiring is the most crucial wiring you have. If you are even wondering, replace it. My temp guage went out, and when I traced the wire, I found three butt splices in it. Sho'nuff, my volt meter read 12 v across the butt splices. The rest of the wiring to the engine was buttspliced three times too. So I DIYed it. It was only 7 wires, and as an added bonus, I eliminated the factory plugs and sockets as potential failure points, and wired directly to the guages, ign, etc. No rocket surgery degree required.
                Think my boat is a tub? There's a rubber duckie at the helm to prove it.

Comment

Working...
                X