Volvo Penta 4.3GL (2001) Good Vacuum Source

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I would like to test the Vacuum on my 4.3Gl engine the Volvo Manual states "Install a vacuum gauge to a good intake manifold source". Where should I put my vacuum guage?<br /><br />Would it be the PCV hose or have I got this totally wrong?<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Chris

imported_Mike_M2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Volvo Penta 4.3GL (2001) Good Vacuum Source

PCV would be wrong. Find a source on the manifold itself if there is one. Look at the manifold and determine where the 6 intakes are for the cylinders. Any port on any of these will make good vacuum. If there isn't such a place, find a port at the bottom of the carb itself.

cmyers_uk

Thanks Mike, when you say port what am I looking for a plugged hole or pipe coming off the covers?<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Chris

imported_Mike_M2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, yes. Unfortunately, boats don't usually have easy access to vacuum. The things that require vacuum in a car(like brakes, heat controls, cruise control, advance, etc.,) don't exist in a boat, therefore they don't have an easy place to get it most times. The "plugged hole or pipe" would be on the intake manifold, in the raised areas between the carb and the heads, excluding the front area which is usually a water jacket. If you find a place, you will know it once you open it up. A vacuum will start and the motor will start running rough(but won't hurt anything). Also, if there's a plugged tube at the base of the carb(usually rear) it will be a good source.

cmyers_uk

Thank you very much, when it stops raining Ill hacve a real good look. I understand it a bit better now.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Chris