Boot for 1971 Volvo 270 I/O unit

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My fishing partner has this unit in an old boat, that is still in good shape, however the boot at the back of the boat has a hole in it. We haven't been able to find any listed and am now asking for some help with information or links to where we might find one. <br />.<br />Thanks for any information anyone might have in getting this "classic" (means old) boat back in the water.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Boot for 1971 Volvo 270 I/O unit

Volvo listings and parts manuals go by engine and drive. Here is a link to a place that has listings for Volvo parts. You will need to look under the 270 upper gear box inorder to find the ujoint bellows kit. The Volvo Part number is 876294.<br />The bellows is the same for the 270,280, and all 290 style Volvo drives.<br /> dougrussell.com<br /><br />You may also find you need ujoints if the grease was washed out of them, and possibly intermediate bearing if water got in them.(requires engine pull) and also check the drive oil, water will get into the drive, because the bellows is the only thing preventing water from going through the input shaft seal.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Retnav, you don't mention which bellow. If its the exhaust (lower bellow), its supposed to have a drain hole in it.<br /><br />Aldo

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don S, Thanks for the info. I have the Doug Russell Site in my bookmarked list. I am going to go to the marina today with my partner and see exactly what part he is talking about. <br />.<br />Dunaruna, thanks for the response. As you can see from the statement above, I don't know which bellows it is. My partner called me and asked me to order the part. As soon as I eyeball the damaged bellows I will repost.