4.3 Volvo-Penta Overheating

afirmature

Recruit
I have a 2001 Glastron GX 185 equipped with a 190 hp,4.3 Volvo-Penta. I recently ran up onto a sand bar. The entire lower unit was buried, but we were able to wiggle all of the sand from the prop before continuing back to the ramp. I thought that I had escaped this bad fortune without any lasting damage, but during my next outing I began to experience extremely high temperatures. Someone has suggested that sand might still be inside and ruined the impellar, thus causing the engine to overheat. Does this sound like a reasonable assumption? If so, how difficult will it be to fix, or will it require work from the shop?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: 4.3 Volvo-Penta Overheating

Many times the sand or mud will build up and clog the pump inlet hose between the pump and the transom bracket. Continued running of the motor will tear up the impeller that would be running dry. Remove the hose at the pump and see if you can blow thru it.

tommays

Admiral

if you ran that much sand through the pump it would be much safer to change the impellar and flush the cooling system to be sure nothing is stoping good water flow<br /><br />no motor has much life when running overheated dont use the boat until you repiar it or have it repiared<br /><br />how had of a job it is ,it really depends on how much repiar work you have done if your a tool person its not a big job<br /><br />tommays

afirmature

Recruit

I have the lower unit opened up, but am having some trouble finding the impeller. Please provide details if you know.

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

HSTN<br />I believe your boat has a belt driven sea water pump (lower left side looking at the front of the motor). It has a rubber impeller that is easy to replace.<br />If you have the lower unit off, I would fluch the whole system right through to the manifolds.<br />If you have overheated the exhaust, better check the rubber bellows and flapper valves while your at it!<br />Best advice is to purchase the workshop manual for your Volvo.

afirmature

Recruit

Okay, I have flushed the lower unit and checked the impeller. Everything looks good... no wear on the impeller, all belts are aligned and moving, and had good water flow both ways. I am still not seeing any suction and discharge when I run the engine with water supply hooked up. Is it possible that the water pump has gone bad?