Volvo 280 how do you remove outdrive

wdaws01

Cadet
Theboat is a 73 IMP w/ a GM350 4bbl/ 280 volvo penta outdrive w/ power tilt~trim. I have the book, though not very descriptive. Following the instructions I have removed the two bolts holding the helmit in above the unit and have that tilted up out of the way. With this outdrive, the hydrolic cylinders are surrounded by a metal box looking thing which has through it a a pivit pin which alows the OD to tilt up and down. In removing these, as the book calls for to remove the unit. It states that I should place a 5/16 bolt into the side and to attach a slide hammer and actually pull the pin out and there by freeing the OD for removal. I removed the retainng screw and was not able to even budge this pin either in or out & am using a heavy slide hammer. We are doing this as there is a noise coming from the back of the motor on the inside of the boat that kind of sounds like a flywheel or brake rubbing on a dust cover. Its not that loud but it also creates a vibration when at WOT, that sounded like a power steering pully bearing but we disconnected that and we've cranked the motor and dont notice any difference while turning the wheel. There is a difference at WOT though. It's a little louder when turned. There was a hole in the drive shaft bellow and was retaining some water. Not good for UJ or gimble bearing. any help or if it sounds like I am going in the wrong direction please advise.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo 280 how do you remove outdrive

the gimbal bearing on that unit is located in the bell housing. that requires engine removal. for that all you need to do is remove the upper drive box, not the entire drive.<br /> good luck and keep posting<br /> pS I use duct tape to seal the hole the upper leaves.