Volvo Penta 3.0 SX Manual ?

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Volvo Penta 3.0 SX Manual ?

The suggestions from a couple of weeks ago didn't work out?<br /><br />Aldo

Casmoboy2171

Cadet

hey Dunaruna,<br /><br />I took it back to the shop and had a discussion with the mechanic. He agreed to put a thermostat back in the boat. I think that I will take it back out on the water again then to see if it will overheat. I still don't know how to back-flush the system to make sure that no broken impeller parts are in the system. Could you help? My wallet is hurting! :mad:

Dunaruna

Admiral

I think we established last time that you didn't have FWC.<br /><br />First, have you done a normal flush, either on muffs or the water fitting on the outdrive? If you haven't, do it first. If you have, did anything come out? <br /><br />Before you start to flush, lower the outdrive fully, this is important.<br />The sea water pump is mounted on the front of the crankshaft. Disconnect the two hoses from the pump and remove your thermostat. Insert your garden hose into the disconnected hoses and flush away. One hose will flush the intake hose & outdrive, the other one will flush the engine block. Keep an eye on the outdrive and note what comes out. Doing this may not clean out the engine block completely, crud tends to lodge in corners and crevices etc. You may need to remove the circulation pump and core plugs to do an effective block flush - hence the need for a manual.<br /><br />Its worth noting that when sand gets sucked into the system, the seawater pump impeller housing also can get damaged - not just the impeller. Your mechanic should have checked this. He should also have backflushed the system as part of the impeller replacement job!<br /><br />Most late model VP also have a seaweed filter in the raw water intake hose, its a serviceable filter.<br /><br />If you don't feel confident doing this yourself you will need to bit the bullet and take it to a marine workshop. Find a new mech. The one that did the impeller doesn't sound competent.<br /><br />Here is a scematic of the cooling hoses and exhaust. Its not very good but its the best I can find for now.<br /><br /> http://volvopentaparts.stemtostern.com/VolvoDiagrams/ShowAssembly.asp?ID=71954 <br /><br /> http://volvopentaparts.stemtostern.com/VolvoDiagrams/ShowAssembly.asp?ID=71896 <br /><br />Did you try contacting you local VP dealer for a manual?<br /><br />Aldo

Dunaruna

Admiral

Mike, when you have more news, could you keep this thread going rather than starting a new one.<br /><br />Makes it easier to follow whats happenning.<br /><br />Thanks. <br /><br />Aldo

Casmoboy2171

Cadet

Dunaruna,<br /><br />I finally got a chance to spend some time on the boat. I removed the lines going into the thermostat housing and the small line had a kinds of impeller parts in it. I flushed out everything that I could and I will going back out on the water here in a couple of days. Thanks for all of your help!