volvo penta gear whine

tjm55

Cadet
Does anyone know anything about the gear whine issue that volvo is having on its late modle dps-a and sx-a outdrives. I heard that volvo switched to a straight cut gear which is the cause.

tjm55

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo penta gear whine

I heard that volvo switched to a straight cut gear which is the cause.

Straight cut gears causes whine, not prevent it. Didn't know there was an "Issue" with it.

tjm55

Cadet

There is an issue with late model (07 and up) volvo drives. My 07 dps-a drive was replaced by volvo under warranty for peeling paint. the replacment drive had a loud gear whine. Volvo replaced that drive and that too had a loud gear whine. They next assembled a drive in engineering to see if they could come up with a drive with out the whine. Two engineers from VA came up to my boat in NJ and installed the drive and did comparision sound reading. the engineering drive still had the gear whine. Volvo tells me they are working on a fix but with the economy situation its moving slowly. Something changed from the time my original drive was manufactured because the original drive did not have a gear whine. Someone told me that volvo went to a straight cut gear which results in the gear whine. Thats why i ask. Just trying to understand the problem.

tjm55

zbnutcase

Commander

Imagine that! More Volvo decontenting! Straight cut gears are cheaper to make.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Straight cut gears are cheaper to make.

They are also stronger, that's why race cars use them. But no one has said that Volvo is using them.
Seems to me, that tjm55 already has information from Volvo directly. Not sure why he wants forum opinions when he already has facts. Except for the straight cut gears which is still a "I heard" type rumor. If you really want to know, pull the inputs bearing carrier out of the drive and look at the gears.

tjm55

Cadet

I don't have all the facts, thats why I'm here on this board. The only thing i know is that volvo has told me is they are working on the problem. I heard from someone on another board that volvo changed to different gear which resulted in the whine. this would explain why my original drive did not have a gear whine. I have no ax to grind with volvo I give them credit for going as far as they have. I'm looking to get as much info as i can so can resolve this problem. any info is appreciated. I'm just surprised that a problem that is so evident on my volvo set up is not noticed by others.

tjm55

07FourWinns

Cadet

I can hear some gear whine on our 07 SX-A but its not really an issue. Can only hear it at idle, lets me know its still on the back of the boat. Why are you so worried about a little noise?

Kinda confused why you got a whole new out-drive for some paint peeling? Ours is starting to peel from sitting in the water all summer but Ill probably just paint it when it needs it.

tjm55

Cadet

I see your boat is an 07. My original 07 drive did not make noise so you probably do not have the same sounding drive that I have. This is no little noise thats hardly noticeable or else Volvo woulden't have changed the drive with one they assembled in engineering and do sound testing which they admit that it is a problem that they are working on. I can't run my boat with the Top up because its to annoying.

changing the drive for peeling paint was Volvo's choice. about half the drive lost its paint.

does your drive sound like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1BRWrwO6Ho

tjm55

Cadet

zubnutcase
Your probably right about that. I also noticed that the part number for the gears were updated.

tjm55

tjm55

Cadet

Is there anything that can be done to quite existing gears? Adjust backlash?

Along with the whine my drive makes what I call a rolling dry bearing sound that ossilates. I though for sure when i pulled the boat this fall that i would find low gear lube or metal in the oil but everything looks good.

tjm55