Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volvo Penta 5.7OSi/XDP Problems?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Volvo Penta 5.7OSi/XDP Problems?

    Hi,
    We are looking into purchase a 05 FW with VP 5.7OSI and the XPD drive. Googling the XDP VP drive lots of threads come up outlining the problems with the drive.

    Should we stay away from the XPD drive or are these exaggerated and can be managed?

    Thanks

  • #2
    Re: Volvo Penta 5.7OSi/XDP Problems?

    I have been a Volvo tech for many years, and would only own an IO boat powered by Volvo. The Volvo drives are great ........................ Except for the XDP, that is the worst drive Volvo ever invented. The inside is typical Volvo and no problem, but the attaching method, the bellows that always leak, and in general it's a PITA to work on.
    Probably why Volvo discontinued the line.

    Personally, I would NEVER even consider a boat with an XDP drive on it.
    Don S.


    Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Volvo Penta 5.7OSi/XDP Problems?

      Originally posted by pred02 View Post
      Hi,
      We are looking into purchase a 05 FW with VP 5.7OSI and the XPD drive. Googling the XDP VP drive lots of threads come up outlining the problems with the drive.

      Should we stay away from the XPD drive or are these exaggerated and can be managed?

      Thanks
      Pass it up.

      I own two XDP drives, and have learned to take care of them....the hard way, and with no support form Volvo.

      If you don't know what you are getting into, don't do it.

      Even though it looks like the V.3 bellows are holding up, I do not advise anyone to buy them, unless they get a really, really good price, or some support for service (which does not exist for a discontinued drive)

      There are other issues with the composite technology....look at the end of this thread for the picture of a fractured composite gimbal ring....this will cost a bundle to replace...

      http://www.rinkerboatowners.com/foru...ic,6749.0.html

      On the bright side, the drives are really quiet, shift smoothly, and ride very comfortably, even for my 34 foot boat. It has to do with the internals, which are (presumably) volvo duoprop stock.

      So, my advice is to go for a regular volvo drive, time tested, and with plenty of parts and support available. I cannot comment on the new Ocean-X drives, which presumably have the old-fashioned design, with new metal-anticorrosion-technology, and added perks for monitoring gear lube and bellows integrity. It's just too new to tell if they will hold up as the old DPS duoprops...

      -Good luck.
      Rinker 342 FV 2005
      Twin Volvo Penta 5.7 OSXi-DF/OceanX(DPS-B)

      "All things are ready if our minds be so." -Henry V

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Volvo Penta 5.7OSi/XDP Problems?

        I own these drives and as of right now we are still trying to work a resolution with V-Penta & Manufacturer I won't say anymore & will let the picture speak for itself Click image for larger version

Name:	images[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	6977964

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Volvo Penta 5.7OSi/XDP Problems?

          I am with DonS on the XDP, run faster than NJTOW.
          no tech questions by PM, they wont get answered.
          you have to be trusted by the people that you lie to .

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Volvo Penta 5.7OSi/XDP Problems?

            Originally posted by pred02 View Post
            Hi,
            We are looking into purchase a 05 FW with VP 5.7OSI and the XPD drive. Googling the XDP VP drive lots of threads come up outlining the problems with the drive.

            Should we stay away from the XPD drive or are these exaggerated and can be managed?

            Thanks

            stay away...I heard and read bad things about them and also heard they are discontinued...the new Volvo salt water drive is now the Ocean X....the latest bellows MAY have solved the water intrusion problem but their bad rep will result in low resale values...

            I don't think their recent products have been as good as the old 270/280 style or even the SX style...first the OSI then the trim pump problems in the latest drives (but that may be an easier problem to solve than the OSI's)...
            1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
            4.3 OMC Cobra

            98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
            07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

            "While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Volvo Penta 5.7OSi/XDP Problems?

              This is too bad as we found a clean and a nice boat in our area that we like, however it has this drive. Nevertheless, thanks for the heads up, this will help us avoid headaches in the future.

              I presume for VP - regular DP drives are ok? Are they also ok for Saltwater? We are going to use the boat solely in the Adriatic

              Thanks

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Volvo Penta 5.7OSi/XDP Problems?

                Originally posted by pred02 View Post
                This is too bad as we found a clean and a nice boat in our area that we like, however it has this drive. Nevertheless, thanks for the heads up, this will help us avoid headaches in the future.

                I presume for VP - regular DP drives are ok? Are they also ok for Saltwater? We are going to use the boat solely in the Adriatic

                Thanks
                If you are dry storing it, either Merc or Volvo is fine. But if you are storing it in a slip or mooring, and this is an area of heavy marine growth like barnacles,. I'd re-consider. An I/O is a lot of work in that environment, I have done it here and would think twice about doing that again. The anti fouling paints we can use for aluminum just do not work well. You really have to pull it every 3 months to clean and repaint the drive. For long term salt water storage an outboard, inboard or V-drive would be much less work....
                1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
                4.3 OMC Cobra

                98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
                07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

                "While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Volvo Penta 5.7OSi/XDP Problems?

                  If you are dry storing it, either Merc or Volvo is fine. But if you are storing it in a slip or mooring, and this is an area of heavy marine growth like barnacles,. I'd re-consider. An I/O is a lot of work in that environment, I have done it here and would think twice about doing that again. The anti fouling paints we can use for aluminum just do not work well. You really have to pull it every 3 months to clean and repaint the drive. For long term salt water storage an outboard, inboard or V-drive would be much less work....
                  We would moor the boat for 3 months in the summer. The rest of the time it would be stored in a dry marina.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Volvo Penta 5.7OSi/XDP Problems?

                    Originally posted by pred02 View Post
                    We would moor the boat for 3 months in the summer. The rest of the time it would be stored in a dry marina.
                    It doesn't matter if it only goes in the water for one day per year. Avoid the XDP, or did you miss the previous replies.
                    Don S.


                    Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                    That is what the forums are for.
                    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Don S View Post
                      Re: Volvo Penta 5.7OSi/XDP Problems?

                      I have been a Volvo tech for many years, and would only own an IO boat powered by Volvo. The Volvo drives are great ........................ Except for the XDP, that is the worst drive Volvo ever invented. The inside is typical Volvo and no problem, but the attaching method, the bellows that always leak, and in general it's a PITA to work on.
                      Probably why Volvo discontinued the line.

                      Personally, I would NEVER even consider a boat with an XDP drive on it.
                      If the Volvo Penta XDP out drive with the Volvo 5.7 Osxi motor is replaced on the boat with a brand new steel Volvo DPS Outdrive would you consider buying the boat? Or are there other issues that I'm unaware of that I should be considering?
                      Thank you

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Sign up today
                        Originally posted by akean View Post

                        If the Volvo Penta XDP out drive with the Volvo 5.7 Osxi motor is replaced on the boat with a brand new steel Volvo DPS Outdrive would you consider buying the boat? Or are there other issues that I'm unaware of that I should be considering?
                        Thank you
                        Start a new thread. You quoted and asked a question of a member sailing with angels.

                        Closed.
                        BOAT SPECS | FORUM HELP | STARCRAFT FORUM | SHOP iBoats
                        Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                        That is what the forums are for.
                        Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X