Anyone have experience with the Volvo Penta/OMC 5.8L EFI engine?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anyone have experience with the Volvo Penta/OMC 5.8L EFI engine?

Hey NapaB,

If you haven't already,

Use the search function on this forum to search for a guy that did a home grown automotive-type EFI system on his boat. I don't remember which engine it was (SBC?) but he did most or all of what some consider required to make it "safe" etc and it worked pretty well! (I think he used a Megasquirt controller in a sealed box etc.....)

I also seem to remember he had extensive project pictures and some You-tube videos of it running etc!

Regards,

Rick

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Anyone have experience with the Volvo Penta/OMC 5.8L EFI engine?

E4OD-

I'm now curious about various vertions of the lower manifold, do you know where they were 351 VS 302? Was it truck VS car? Model year determined?

I was looking at 302s and same year engines might make 185hp in a pickup VS 225hp in a Mustang, I was unable to find what the sedan/wagon 302's put out, although I'd be tempted to look for a wrecked towncar if I didn't intend to overhaul the engine, higher end cars are better maintained and not raced/beat on.

The higher HP in a otherwise similar engine would typically indicate power moved up in the RPM band, better power curve for a boat.

The 5.8 Volvo/OMC used the upper and lower intake manifold from the 95 5.8 SVT Cobra "R" Mustang, and it was never used in any other car, and is totally different than the truck setup. A 302 lower manifold won't fit, as 351 has a taller block. Ford Motorsport used to sell the manifold in their catalog, but I'm sure its NLA by now.