Volvo GL 5.0 overheating

G

I have a 2000 Volvo GL 5.0 engine that we put on the water for the first time this summer. Ran fine at first then audible alarm sounded and water temp began to climb. Alarm sounded entire time and finally had to pull it out of the water. We noticed that the ACC 1 and ACC 2 knob that powers the depth finder wasn't working, but the fuses seem fine. According to wiring diagram, the water pump is wired to the ACC fuses??? Is it true that the water pump is wired? Once home, put the water muffs on and no water was coming out of the exhaust. Any suggestions?

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo GL 5.0 overheating

WOW GA no electric water pumps on boat! pump is belt driven you will have to remove it it has two hoses to it. mark one so you put them back in the right spot. then remove pump from boat then take a marker and make line down the side so when you replace impeller you align marks for proper orentation. if old one is missing pices you will have to try to find them! remove hose from t-stat housing and back flush hoses with garden hose/ check pwr steering cooler. probally replace t-stat would not hurt it probally has rubber pices in the spring. if you are not good w/tools have someone who knows do the job not that big of deal or costly... good luck A.D.

G

Thanks a.d. mobile for the advice, sorry to sound so much like a novice, just the wife of a boater who thinks it doesn't hurt to ask some questions first before handing your boat over to a mechanic. You're lucky I knew what kind of engine we had! and I didn't call any of the parts a "thingy" :D I just read the manual under fuses, which is where I saw the diagram link a fuse to the water pump. Forgive my ignorance, we haven't had to have any work done on this boat and we were surprised when this happened. Thanks again.

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class

OH i wasnt slamming... that water pump under fuses would be the bilge pump that removes water form the bilge. did the mr firure out the over heat??? I can tell you how to fix it dont tell him and he will be rubbing his head for a week over that one.

G

a.d.mobile Thanks for not slamming me...I was starting to feel like the only person who has ever asked a really dumb question. :) I'll take that offer of how to fix this. The Mr did finally ask someone at his work that basically told him the same thing - Nevermind the fact that I read about 5 other questions in these forums about overheating and they all basically said the same thing, but when I offered that suggestion to the Mr, he said he didn't think that was it. :rolleyes: If I can ask another (probably dumb) question. How do you know what impeller to buy or do you buy an impeller repair kit? I've tried to find some info online, but I can't seem to find anything that specifically says for a Volvo Penta 5.0 GL. Should I go ahead and replace the t-stat? What about the water pump and are these things that are fairly easy to do? Sorry for so many questions, I figured I'd take advantage while you're still being patient with me. :)

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok lets get to it thur is my last day for 2 weeks!!!!!!<br />1Q yes this is the problem if it is overheating. mr doesnt start this puppy with out water does he? not even for a little. if he does get out the rolling pin!!!<br />2Q yes we need a impeller repair kit best to just go to the dealer not that bad on $$.<br />3Q yes not bad to change first is to locate it remove engine cover or lift sun deck the pump should be on the lower left side driven by a belt. if you are facing the engine looking at a skier. there are 2 hoses to it mark one hose so you dont assemble wrong. remove hoses. the pump is held to bracket with 2 bolts 1/2 inch size socket. remove entire pump. take into garage to bench. get marker and draw line down side of pump this will orentiate things for re-assemble. remove the 4 bolts that hold the hose end of the pump. the rubber impeller is in here. what does it look like?? pices missing? if it looks melted that means it got ran without water! missing pices get tricky it depends where they are now flush out the hose from pump to the thermostat housing buy removing it from t- stat housing in the center of engine at the top. and flush with garden hose. next to that is a big hose that goes to the circulator pump remove that at t-stat housing you should be able with small pin light look in hole at the top and see t-stat pices in it? if not put all hoses on. now when installing new impeller lightly lube it with dish soap so it is not dry on start up. put new impeller on shaft then spin pully and push on pump hose cover with new o-ring installed from kit or gasket install bolts that hold cover on, then reverse the whole way we took it off. install pump with 2 bolts tighten pump belt snug bolts up this is tough sometimes just make sure belt is tight and bolts are tight. hook up the hoses rember you marked one put it back in the same spot. when running on garden hose no more that 1500 rpm for short times or you will burn this one. watch gauge should run about 160 deg. if problems occur 1 st pull hose that comes from pump to t-stat and start engine is it pumping water? if so a pice of old impeller is sticking t-stat. or powersteering cooler. we will go thru that if this does not work.. good luck thur is my last day hope you can work on it tonite. it may look bad here but is not all that bad please respond and let me know how it is going.

G

Thanks for taking the time in the details. It's late on Thurs, so you might not get this until you get back....wish us luck.

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class

well i'm back from vaca did you fix the boat?????

G

hmmmmm, where do I start. Husb stopped by Marine Dealer as he was out near there on Friday 6/27 to buy impeller, wanted to wait until next day because it is cooler in the mornings. Start about 9:00am, first try and find water pump, t-stat, get book find diagrams...blah, blah blah. Ok, finally find what we're looking for, husband (not a small man) wedges himself into back of boat and proceeds to take out every nut and bolt and screw to get to where the impeller is located (grunts, moans and several cuss words later) located!!! Now, find every small piece of rubber so that we can recreate impeller to make sure we've got all pieces...we don't...what to do, flush everything, look inside t-stat housing flush again, find a couple more but no where near making a new impeller. We figure this is the best we can do and we move on to installing new impeller. Wife (that's me) is really only responsible for handing correct tool, looking at diagram and reading directions. Husband notices that new impeller is bigger than place where pieces have come out of, maybe we have to turn a specific way??? Read instructions....WAIT.....DO NOT USE IN BRACKET MOUNTED WATER PUMPS...Did I mention that we have a bracket mounted water pump!!! "This is not the right one" (me), "yes it is" I asked the guy at the Marine Dealer (husb), "no" number on shredded impeller does not match new one (me) "so" different brand (husb) "I'm going to call" (me), "OK, but they close early today" (husb)...blah, blah, blah...bottom line, they sold us the wrong impeller for our boat!!!! Get in car...fuming :mad: (me) because I would think that the Marine Dealer would know what they're doing, drive 1 1/2 hours there and back "Oh, sorry you said your boat was a 2000, but your motor is a 1999 (what??!!!) or your boat is a 2000 so your motor must be a 2000 (what??!!!) WHATEVER!!. Now it's in the middle of the afternoon (did I mention that we live in the South, it's dang hot!!!) wedge husband into back of boat, find extra bottle of glycerine in kitchen (don't ask why we have it, I thought it was good for dry skin) install impeller re-assemble bracket, screws, nuts, bolts....PRAY, place water hoses bracket thing on motor, turn over.....YEA!!!! IT WORKS!!! WHEW!! BIG RELIEF! :D Turn off motor, notice that new impeller has a seal, ??? did we see a seal?? should we put the seal on?? the seal's are not the right shape, well if it came with it, we better put the seal on :confused: Take everything apart, place seal (as best as we could) put everything back together, turn on engine....NOTHING....NO WATER...NOTHING....START PANICKING!!!! Take everything off, remove seal (it doesn't even fit properly) thank goodness we have extra glycerine because the little packet that comes with the impeller is long gone, impeller has twisted inside the chamber where it should be, straighten it out, put nuts, bolts, screws etc... back together for the 3rd time, PRAY, turn on engine....IT WORKS!!!! THANK YOU GOD! Hot, Tired, Sweaty, pretty close to saying the D-word (which is Divorce in our house) :) decide that it might be better next time to drop boat off at Marina and have a professional do this. Put boat on water for 4th of July, runs great, still need to find out why the depth finder isn't working, but everything else is working just fine, temp is fine YEA! While I would love for that to be the end of the story, it isn't! Took boat up to Lake Blue Ridge this past weekend, place in water, wait for friends to climb aboard, idle around waiting for husband to park trailer, pick him up idle around to where we can get some gas, audible alarm starts sounding....NO WAY!!!! didn't we just fix the darn impeller, temp is starting to climb, ready for a great weekend on the lake and it looks like we're headed home again!!! Muttering several words that should not ever be said aloud! Husb and I look at each other defeated, husb decides to try and drive and see if we can get some cooler water circulating, audible alarms...beeps, beeps, bee...crackles and turns itself off....drive a little farther, temp goes down, drive boat, ski a little, put kids in tube, end of day boat has driven perfectly! What is up with that....any ideas?! Thanks for checking back in and for reading through the "tale of impeller horrors". I figured since you took the time to type out all the instructions for us to be able to do this ourselves, you might as well get the whole story along with some mental images of tweedle dee and tweedle dum (I'm not saying who is who :D ) changing an impeller. Any advice on why our last trip the alarm would have sounded and then gone away, would be appreciated, hope you had a great time wherever you went!

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class

ya never said it was easy but you got it GREAT JOB I still have tears from laughing so hard. where you were running is there a lot of weeds? maybe a missing pice got caught up in the t-stat?<br />when i do this kind of work for people they think the boat has zippers and gives up it problems and wine about the bill. it is not uncommon to find a 1 year older engine in a 1 year newer boat.<br />the depth finder is usualy a transducer does the LED work? one thing about depth finder when traveling 25 mph depth sounder just beeped 1 ft guess what! they are good for take off's most i-o's need 6ft for take off.. safley so have a good one have fun bob.....