Volvo Penta 170- HELP

bjarnold

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am working on a friends 1970's tri-hull boat that has been sitting for over 2 years and he wants me to get it running. He told me several years ago he had an electrical fire but he rewired it. And it was running when parked. Well now when I turn the key over the engine does not crank but the dash is getting power and has a new battery in the boat. So I tried hooking up a remote starter to the starter solinoid and the engine cranks over but it is not getting a spark from the coil. I noticed there are 2 terminals on the coil and two on the starter solinoid that have nothing hooked up to them. Could that be the problem??? :confused:

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo Penta 170- HELP

turn key to run and check that you have 12 volts going through ignition switch. check for 8-10 volts at plus side of coil. if you do, points plugs rotor blah blah. if not go back to ballast resistor and check there. if no power to resistor somewhere between switch and there. problem; if i was betting man, is in the harness plug.

bjarnold

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Volvo Penta 170- HELP

After doing some testing I found that the distributor IS getting power from the coil but there is no spark coming from the coil to the distributor cap.<br /><br />Bill