volvo 4.3 (chev) 1999 manifold problem

Georgiaboater

Recruit
My problem has now moved to cracked manifold. Mech. says i need new manifolds and new liftors. Crack must be due do freezing. Its a 23ft cruiser, volvo outdrive, vortec 4.3inboard i use it offshore fishing. How much should i expect to pay for those manifolds and lifters, and does anyone know the average fuel consumption for these motors?

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: volvo 4.3 (chev) 1999 manifold problem

have done this repair a few times ,if i remember correctly it gets up around 1G parts and labor. curios,how long has it sat with this cracked intake manifold,have seen a lot of water go thru engines and the lifters survive.also next time it is winterized make sure they remove the plug from the front of the intake manifold so this doesn't happen again.

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Totally agree with John. Ive never had to put lifters in but he maybe trying to cover his a--.

Bondo

Staff member

Risers, Lifters.... It's About the same....

Capt Ken

Commander

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If the manifolds cracked, then the water possibly leaked back into the engine. It would have had to flow thru the cylinders to get back into the oil pan and damaging the valves while passing thru the heads. I'm curious on how the lifters got damaged and no damage to the heads and valves.

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class

where the intake cracks on these on the underneath side it is right above the lifters and the water drips on them .so i do think that his mechanic sees a lot of rust or is covering his a$$

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

INTAKE MANIFOLD... NOT EXHAUST. 4.3 vortec has a water cooled intake.Merc or volvo same 4.3, funny ive seen less mercs break than volvo's.????

Capt Ken

Commander

OK, that explains it. Intake not exhaust. Can't say that I've ever seen an intake freeze crack. But then I live in florida.