Volvo Penta Steering Yoke

nogin888

Cadet
Hi Guys I have just dismantled my steering yoke after losing steering completely at sea.<br />(AQ271 WITH DUO PROP LEG)The splines on the yoke are completly worn away. Can these be rebuilt or are they a throw away job. Any sugestions much appreciated.<br />Nick :confused:

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Volvo Penta Steering Yoke

Worn away,is thrown away.We would all be interested to know how it got to that point.

nogin888

Cadet

Hondon <br />Its a long story but really we are lucky well not really By Gods Grace it didnt go while I was in a 9 to 12 foot sea 3 weeks ago. It went after a days fishing on the trip back to port in a clam bay 10 minutes from port. The coast guard towed us home.<br />The part and boat can be seen at this link.<br /> http://community.webshots.com/user/nogin888 <br />Nick

Walt T

Lieutenant

Was the steering arm clamp bolt tight? Was it all nicely greased in there?<br />Has to be the bolt was loose. Make sure the steering arm is okay.

terryc

Seaman

I helped Nick remove the Yoke. The bolt was as tight as could be and there was some grease still. As nick has only purchased the boat recently it's hard to be sure as to the cause. It looks like it has been worn for a long time, maybe someone left it slightly loose at some stage in its life, then tightened it up. The motor and leg have done almost 1,000 hrs. from your comments it sounds like this is not a common wearing out for this part.<br />regards terry

quietman

Recruit

At some time the bolt has gotten loose and that will cause the worn out part you have .

nogin888

Cadet

Thanks Guys<br />I am now having trouble locating the part in Australia can anyone recomend a dealer in the States who would stock one.<br />Many Thanks <br />Nick

charleswmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Been there done that. A few things you need to do.<br />If you have the old model with one single bolt in the top upgrade it to the new version that has the bushing with two screws side by side. I think you will also have to replace the helmet with this upgrade. I just recently found this site and they seem to be fair on pricing. Hope it helps??<br />Also change the seals between the yoke and the transom shield this keeps your boat from sinking.<br />Yoke,Steering arm,Helmet,Seal,Bushing,2-bolts.<br />(When I did mine the steering arm was okay)<br />Charlie<br /> Http://www.stemtostern.com

nogin888

Cadet

Thanks charleswmoore <br />I have had the steering yoke repaired by an engineer. The finished product is far far better than the orginal I am now looking forward to getting onto the water.<br />Many Thanks Nick

woywoyboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Nick, for used parts for just about every Volvo thing you can think of, try Mick @ Moby on 02 9153 6506. He has just about anything you can think of as he's the biggest wrecker in the country, If in Vic, try Golden Seal. I find both of these great with used parts but nearly always get a better price from my Volvo dealer, Fenquin @ Liverpool on new parts.

nogin888

Cadet

Thanks woy woy boy<br />I will contact these guys when I need some more parts. (I will have just about replaced the entire motor by the time I am Finished)<br />My distributor has now packed it in.<br />I left the ignition on after lifting the leg when I came in got to the servo to refuel and noticed it was on 10 mins had gone by, got home went to flush the motor and no go. So another call to the mechanic and it turns out the distributor Module and pickup arm are shot the inside of the dizzie showed bad signs of corrosion. Its a full electronic one agian its ten years old.<br />Many Thanks Nick