Volvo 270 Tilt Problem

jstaab

Cadet
Re: Volvo 270 Tilt Problem

Dunaruna, thanks for the link, already found it, stared at it, stared at the real, and I'm still a bit stumped, at least regarding what is suppose to happen when you go into foward or reverse. On mine, the lock brace is pushed forward when you place when you go into the forward gear. The parts look worn, so nothing happens, the lock brace moves, but don't move against anything.

jstaab

Cadet

Does anyone know about my lock brace question? When it is pushed forward by the coupling rod, is it effectively holding the lock closed, or forcing the lock open? I'm just trying to get a grasp on what it is suppose to be doing before I start buying new parts for the reverse lock, as they aren't cheap.<br /><br />As far as the mechanical lift, it's been assimilated by the transom shield :) Its there to stay, the tilt will be replaced by a rope.

f_inscreenname

Commander

When the tilt plunger pushes down on the drive it first pushes a rod that unlocks the locking mechanism <br />If the plunger from the tilt mech is down even a little it will come in contact with the unlocking rod on the outdrive and not let it lock even if the drive is all the way down. If I were you I would remove the chrome long bolt at the bottom of the transom shield (trim bolt) and see if you could push the rod in by letting the drive go past where it normally sits. Then put the bolt back in and it should lock if that is what it is. Have you taken the tilt motor off and tried a screwdriver to get the plunger to screw back up?

jstaab

Cadet

Yup, I've removed that rod entirely. I've removed the tilt motor, and used the screw driver method, it's defintately stuck. Is the outdrive suppose to be locked down in forward and reverse?

f_inscreenname

Commander

both <br />Bad if you hit something, it wont pop up like a Mercruise will.

fish393

Seaman Apprentice

I thought you gave up???If your going to rope it might as well take the screw and nut off that holds the locking mech. down. they are the ones with the white plastic caps and the one I refered to earlier.Then you will have no problems unless you realy need reverse fast.It will come out with persistance and care.

jstaab

Cadet

I did give up on the tilt/mechanical lift, using a good old cheap rope to lift it out. I was just trying to figure out whether or not I should leave it locked or unlocked, and what the purpose of the reverse lock is. From what I can tell, when you either put it in reverse or forward, something is suppose to happen, with the worn parts, I can't quite tell. If it is suppose to be locked in both forward and reverse, I assume that's what the heavy springs are for, to allow the prawls to release if you hit something hard enough. I talked to one guy, newer boat, REAL tilt and trim, he hit a log, the outdrive came up as it was suppose to but still did $4k worth of damage.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Just to toss in my two pennies..had a 1984 volvo Duoprop in the shop recenty'It had hydraulic trim/tilt.Unfortunately we were only changing the shift cable,and the customer picked the boat up yesterday.That's all I know about it,but maybe something to pursue.<br />DHP

Dunaruna

Admiral

The reverse lock is a difficult piece of work, you will only get familiar with it by studying it.<br /><br />It locks the outdrive when the vise rod is fully retracted (the long rod coming out of the transom plate)<br /><br />If it is unlocked you will not be able to use reverse, the outdrive will come out of the water. <br /><br />If it is locked you will not be able to lift the outdrive with a rope.<br /><br />To do what you are suggesting it must be repaired, study the links given above, you'll get it eventually.<br /><br />Aldo

fish393

Seaman Apprentice

GET THE MANUAL {clymer Volvo stern drive shop manual 1968-1993}Then go to chapter sixteen.All you need to know covers drive and your engine.Step by Step.Have you tryed to heat up the shaft to expand the housing to remove it?

jstaab

Cadet

I have purchased the Seloc manual. Heck, I've already had the lock apart and put it back together again. It does lock down just fine, the portion of the lock that doesn't work is whatever it is suppose to do when you put it in drive (or reverse) if it is hooked up backwards. As far as the lift, given up. Its there to stay. More then likely if we continue boating in the long run, we'll replace the boat!