Volvo 270 Tilt Problem

Brian Wilbur

Recruit
I have a 1984 Bayliner, Volvo Penta AQ125A, with 270 outdrive. It's a freshwater boat. The tilt mechanism worked fine early this season; now all of a sudden it doesn't work. Electric motor runs fine, worm and drive gears mesh and turn, but spindle doesn't move. The sterndrive doesn't even move a fraction when the mechanism is engaged. I haven't removed the tilt mechanism from the mounting collar yet - it appears it will require some force to do so. Before I do damage, I want to be sure I'm headed in the right direction. My guess at this point is the spindle has corroded in place. My thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: Volvo 270 Tilt Problem

Make sure you have the boat out of the water or you will have a nasty leak. Sound like you are going in the right direction.

Gene70

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You are smart not trying to remove the tilt assembly. If you are not careful you can ruin a $700-$800 assembly. I recommend you call me and let me give you some pointers on how to start. It is hard to put everything in writing. I can walk you through it much easier on the phone. You can call me at 1-800-949-2189

sullivg

Recruit

Hi, My mechanic has just rung me and tld me the tilt assembly is broken, This was not the case when I put it in for a service. Would you mind if I give you a call?

jstaab

Cadet

I know this is a old thread, however, I'm hoping someone will read this. Anyone know how to take the tilt assembly off. Mine quit working. I removed the two main hex bolts that hold the unit on, and I was under the impression the entire unit would separate, however that isn't the case. I'm afraid the rod is rusted/corroded in. Any tips?

Dunaruna

Admiral

Hi jstaab,<br />A 20 month old thread, not bad!<br /><br />Try soaking with penetrating fluid but in my experience they snap very easily and then its gunna hurt your bank balance. The gears inside the housing don't normally give trouble, whats wrong with yours?<br /><br />Aldo

jstaab

Cadet

It's a old boat that I picked up. From what I've read, and from what I can tell, it appears that the rod is slightly bent into the shaft. I'm making this assumption because where the rod/rod shaft exit the transom shield on the outside, there are two fairly decent cracks. I suspect someone ran the boat with the engine not quite all the way down, which placed pressure on the rod and rod shaft. As near as I can tell, it's history, and stuck there permanently. I'm about ready to post another question to see if there is any way to add a true tilt and trim to this thing, however, I already know the answer. Which leads to yet another question, are there any other outdrives that have tilt and trim that will connect to the AQ170B, which I don't believe there are any options for this either.

Dunaruna

Admiral

One day some smart cookie will design a hydraulic trim system (in kit form) for early VP outdrives and make a fortune. Unfortunately for now, nothing is available except:<br /><br />The 270 & 280 had a trim system as an option, they were called 270T & 280T. If you can find a 'T' version transom plate and connecting gear you can convert to hydraulic. In Australia (and I suspect the world) it would be easier to find a live dinosaur but you never know unless you try.<br /><br />As for other outdrives, anything can be modified to connect to anything, how deep are your pockets? VP & Mercruiser make different size holes through the transom.<br /><br />Aldo

jstaab

Cadet

It's either a 270, or 280, not sure as the external plate has been removed, and haven't figured out which it is. I read about the T models, and came to the same conclusion, they are very rare. It doesn't sound like anything else will simply bolt on then without heavy modifications to the rear assembly. I was hoping of course to find something used at a reasonable price, and maybe a bit more modern. Oh well, may just have to find the missing pawl rod so the reverse lock works and manully raise the engine.

fish393

Seaman Apprentice

The best bet to remove the tilt drive is to take a thin blade and run it under the tilt mount to break the seal after you take out the two screws.Then from outside the boat{if the shaft is bent}take a pair of vise grips and unscrew the head from the shaft of the tilt mechanism.Go back into the boat and gentle try to turn the whole tilt drive keeping it level and then lightly rock to get it out.the thing that is holding it in is a little o ring that seals the unit and the build up of crud.Be careful not to crack the transcom shied.<br />You can see 3 of them right now on e bay. Also check with local dealers because they will keep them around.fixed mine for under 125.00 good luck

f_inscreenname

Commander

I guarantee you will have to pull the drive to get that little disc unscrewed. After the have been on for awhile the don't come off to easy and with the drive on there is no enough room to move vice grips around. Also before you buy anything look on e-bay. That is where I found my stuff. A tilt motor listed for $210.00 I got for $30.00.

jstaab

Cadet

The bad news is, the transom shield is already cracked in two places where the rod exits on the outside. I'm suspecting the thing is in there to stay at this point. I started out gently, and after two days, got rough with it, and it's a no go. The only thing I have succeeded in is making the cracks worse on the outside. I'm to the point, I think I'll just have to permanently seal it up, remove the push rod and do the manual tilt with a rope for now. I checked a couple of days ago on e-bay and haven't stumbled across a transom shield yet. I've also checked and the reverse lock isn't working, as I think it is worn. Also, from what I can tell, if it did work, I believe it is hooked up backwards, locked in forward, unlocked in reverse.<br /><br />Here is a REAL trick question that I'm starting to research, can a new stern drive with REAL tilt and trim be connected to an old AQ170B engine. I've read that anything can be connected to anything for a price. I guess my main question is, if old and new can be connected, is there something out there that will fit in the existing hole without gutting the rear and having to re-fiberglass the entire thing.

jstaab

Cadet

f_inscreenname, sorry, I just read your reply to my other post in relation to my last comment on this post. Since this is an old post, I'll continue my stern drive question on the other post, heck, I'm getting confused now.

jstaab

Cadet

Since the shaft is frozen in the transom, I've removed the push rod to allow the stern to lock down. Regarding the reverse lock, which is worn and not working, when the coupling rod pushes on the lock brace, it is suppose to open the locking mechanism, or forcibly keep the locking mechanism closed? Since mine is worn, I can't quite tell what it is suppose to do. The way I have it now, it's pretty much locked the entire time now, and of course the lock brace doesn't do anything since it is all worn.<br />Thanks again for the replies!

fish393

Seaman Apprentice

If the transcom is already cracked just take it out and repair it.Just make sure to use a good sealent.Mine has been cracked four 4 out of the 6 years I owned the boat.While you are their just adjust the screw on the top of the retaining prawl lever and adjust until it works. Can be done in the water the hole will be above the water line.In regards to the retaining prawl it automaticaly locks when in full down position and when you use the tilt it hits the rod to release it.If it is stuck which sounds like it is take a wrench and turn the rod the prawl ataches to and turn it counter clockwise in a fast motion and it shoud release it.

jstaab

Cadet

Yup, I'm just going to seal up the cracks, will have to use the old rope method of raising the stern up and down. I've manually engaged the lock brace, and it doesn't seem to do anything. I believe the components are worn down, which is why I can't quite tell if it is suppose to open the lock, for keep the lock closed when engaged. It appears that new spring hooks are going for $50 a piece and the lock brace is going for about $130. If the lock is suppose to remain in the lock position during forward and reverse, I'll probably just leave it as is and manually unlock it to raise the outdrive when loading. I'm guessing here, but I think the lock brace, when engaged, forcibly kept the locking mechism closed for reverse, but I may have it backwards, or it's hooked up backwards???

fish393

Seaman Apprentice

IF THE STERN DRIVE IS LOCKED DOWN THE PRAWL IS WORKING AND JUST NEEDS TO BE ADJUSTED> YOU CAN TAKE THE TILT MECH APART AND REPAIR IT> WHAT IS IT DOING EXACTLY.SPINING AND CUTTING OUT? NOT SPINING AT ALL? SPINING AND NOT DOING ANYTHING?START AT THE BEGINING. FORGET ABOUT THE PRAWL AND FIX THE FIRST PROBLEM THE SECOND SHOULD CURE ITSELF.

jstaab

Cadet

Regarding the mechnical lift mechnism, I guess as it is called, is stuck, the motor attempts to turn, but nothing. The relays are engaging, the motor is trying. I believe the vise rod is actually rusted in place, plus the entire lift mechanism is rusted in place. I've tried to remove it, and it won't budge, the hex bolts at the base are removed. I've actually removed the bearing housing, and removed all bearings, etc to find a small amount of rust inside, which leaves me to believe the vise rod and the entire unit is rusted in place as well. I couldn't replace the lift mechanism if I wanted to, as it won't come off. With it open, i've actually tried turing the vise rod by hand with a vice grips, and it's permantenly stuck, yes I know, I'm messing up the thread on the rod, but I can find parts on e-bay if I get it off. I've soaked the heck out of it with wd-40, and it won't budge. So it's either rusted, or the rod is bent inside the shaft, either way, I've given up.<br /><br />The stern drive wasn't locked down because the the vise rod was partially extended on the outside, which is why I removed the the push rod from the outside, so it could lock.