23 yo Volvo bearing carrier removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

capt powers

Seaman Apprentice
I need to replace the shaft seals on a DP-A. The bearing carrier doesn't want to come off using a slide hammer. Is this a part that needs to be sacraficed to get it off? Can I use a puller and pull against the prop shaft? Any sugestions would be appreciated.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 23 yo Volvo bearing carrier removal

do you have the actual tool that threads onto the outer prop shaft? do you have oxy actylyne?

capt powers

Seaman Apprentice

I don't have that tool. I have a puller attached to the screw holes for the zinc and want to pull using the inner shaft for leverage. Yes to the torch.

capt powers

Seaman Apprentice

I need to replace the shaft seals on a DP-A. The bearing carrier doesn't want to come off using a slide hammer. Is this a part that needs to be sacraficed to get it off? Can I use a puller and pull against the prop shaft? Any sugestions would be appreciated.

captmello

Captain

Often working on these outdrives require specialty tools. Makes it hard for us DIYers. Be patient, and don't start breaking expensive parts.

Hopefully Rodbolt or Don S will be by to help.:)

capt powers

Seaman Apprentice

I started before the fishing/ boating season here in MA so I can be patient. I will wait for some tech help before I bring out the heat and crank down on the puller.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You can try it with the anode screw holes, but I would bet a pay check that the threads will be the first thing to come out. Especially if that drive has been used in salt water, and by the barnical marks all over it, there isn't much question about that.
When using the special tool it pulls the shaft and gear perfectly straight out of the lower housing. The slightest angle will bind it up solid. It usually takes the special tool to pull the carrier out during rebuild with all the corrosion cleaned off. Just the close tolerance makes it tough to get out. In salt water drives, it usually takes the special too and the flame torch to get them apart.

capt powers

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don. Where is the best place to get the tool? The tool screws onto the outer shaft and then I use the slide hammer to remove the shaft and bearing carrier. I really shouldn't use a puller against the inner shaft. Is there an issue of heating the lower housing and causing it to crack? This is a lot of risk just to replace a seal!

Don S

The tool screws onto the outer shaft and then I use the slide hammer to remove the shaft and bearing carrier.

No, the tool screws down onto the outer shaft, the bolt down the center screws down against the inner shaft which pushes against the lower housing. No slide hammers involved.

Where is the best place to get the tool?
I go to the Volvo special tools cabinet and get it from it's spot. We bougth the tools from Volvo.

Is there an issue of heating the lower housing and causing it to crack? This is a lot of risk just to replace a seal!

Sure, you can overdo it and damage things with heat and improper methods.
Welcome to old boats and salt water.

captmello

Captain

Maybe you can find someone locally that has the tools, have them do the prop shaft seals.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Here is the one I use.
DSC01715.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd114/1login/DSC01715.jpg?t=1267973031

Works for either SP or DP in the AQ series.
1/2" mild steel plate
4 - 1/2" in width
10" long

Puller Rods are grade # 8 .... 7/16" standard American USNC thread ..... 11" + - long.
Center hole equals large prop shaft OD + some.
SP Puller Rod hole layout = 5 - 5/16" Center to Center
DP Puller Rod hole layout = 4 - 7/8" Center to Center
(7/16" diameter holes..... or just slightly over that.)
The "jack" nuts are grade # 8 over-sized nuts...... oiled and washered for friction reduction.

In this picture I have upgrade the rod. I used 1/2" rod and welded the 1/2 inch nut to the 7/16.. Less flex when pulling.

Don S

For the life of me, I can not see how that setup will pull the carrier out of the housing.
If you tighten the prop nut (A) the plate will push against the nuts (B) on the threaded rod and push the carrier into the drive.
Same if you try to tighten B, the plate will push on A and again force the carrier into the drive. :confused: :confused: :confused:

You also have a freshwater drive there, not a salt water. Which is going to be the biggest obstacle.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DP Lower.jpg
    DP Lower.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 2

capt powers

Seaman Apprentice

Maybe nut "A" is suposed to be inbourd of the steel plate. If the shaft is supposed to come out with the bearing carrier this could be an issue.
The Volvo tool pushing against the inner shaft could cause it to distort. I always place a nut on thraeded shafts I put pressure on.
BTW what would I expect to pay a pro to do this job if I delivered the outdrive at his shop? I hate to go into these repairs with an open checkbook.

capt powers

Seaman Apprentice

Don S,
I want to let you know your humorous remark on the best place to find the tool was not lost on me. Very funny -Also very true

Don S

Depending on how much trouble he has getting the carrier out, and not getting grit and dirt into the rest of the drive while pulling the corroded carrier out, it should be under an hour. It's not a bad job with the right equipment.

On the tools, I never had to go out and do the buying. If a new type drive came out we bought the complete rebuild tool kit directly from Volvo.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Don, that puller has worked on dozens of lowers. I do not want to get into an arguement with you as I fully admit you are an expert in regards to the Volvos, but this will work on fresh water and salt water drives.

All that is needed with the problem drives is a little controled heat.

Bill

Don S

Please explain how it works then, and what you turn to remove the carrier.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

The inner propeller nut (large shaft) is screwed on over the plate. The jacking nuts (B in your photo) are in between the lower housing and the steel plate.

Just jack (B) them out evenly with these nuts.

Bill

Don S

Ok, I see what I was looking at wrong. I thought you had the threaded rods screwed into the anode holes as Capt powers was talking about in reply #3.
It makes sense now. :redface:

Status
Not open for further replies.