noise , growly rumble and tap tap after stored Help appreciated

ron3033

Seaman
Hi 1995 four wins 200 horizon in mint shape low hours I own since new
volvo penta sx drive 1.66 gear ratio.
Just put in water 2 days ago. late due to health issue.
When started at the dock it seem to have scrapey rumble growl sound with a faint tapping. when put into gear at 600 rpm the tapping was more evident. Took it out in the river and did not really hear the sound due to engine noise, water noise. at 3300 rpm 32 mph seem good no shaking going on. Even tried 4400 rpm @ 42 43 mph. Ran around a bit and came back to the dock same noise, and not from engine.

I was told likely the gimbal and u joints need replaced. They are original. Out drive was off Oct 2018 all greased and when put way in 2019, there were no noises....they seemed to happen over the winter?? (outdrive stored down with Styrofoam againt the leg and trailer)
I looked around and noticed the drive bellow had pulled a bit forward on the flange on the back of the boat, maybe 1/4 inch. I also was able to push it back a bit with my finger (out drive up). Suspect maybe water got into it ??? Could over winter take out gimbal and u joints???
I did come home and give gimbal 4 shots of grease out of frustration.

we do not have any trust worthy marine repairs.... all seem to be horror story after horror story and lots of cash.

1. can I replace drive bellow without taking off pivot housing?
2. heard you can use slide hammer to get gimbal out?
3. 3 inch pvc pipe to drive gimbal in?
4. any chance grease tube let water in?
5. how do you get u joints apart and repressed without taking the drive shaft out of the up case as it means setting up a rolling friction some thing or other....above my know how. I was told you can lay the drive down and bang them out with two sockets seems kinda scarey if you miss and bend something in the upper case where it all comes out.
6. should bellow be glued on and with what?

This boat was the one thing I wanted it looks new for a 1995.(low hours) I am now on a fixed income and can not afford tons of money, let alone we have no reputable marine techs here closest is 200 miles away and do not know there rep either.
Aug and I have had a 40 minute ride...decide to get in in case something worse happened.

Any help greatly appreciated I guess I need to try to fix my self, or I have a shiny boat sitting making me feel bad.
thanks ron3033
photo would not load sorry

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
1 Yes but it is a lot easier and secure to remove it.
2 Yes but getting something to seat behind the bearing can be a challenge.
3 Not sure
4 Possibly but unless it is loose unlikely.
5 Make a tool that allows you to press out the caps then do it all on the bench leaving the input shaft/bearing in place.
6 Volvo recommend a sealant but it is a pain to clean off, just make sure the ridge is located in the groove at the large diameter end.