Rusty Gimbal Bearing

Bkforce9

Cadet
Hello all,

I'm new here, thank you for the opportunity to join the community.

I have just nearly finished swapping out old for new longblocks on my twin Volvo Penta 5.7l engines, and getting ready to put them back in and realign them. One outdrive was very hard to remove, and turns out has a stuck and rusty gimbal (see pictures). I can't move the gimbal with my fingers, and there is a bunch of sand or corrosion dust in there. That driveshaft is also rusty, but still rotates great and articulates at the joints good too.

I'm assuming I will need to replace the gimbal, correct? Do I need to replace the bellows as well? What would you do to the driveshaft (just clean it up?)? Here is a picture of the bad gimbal, driveshaft, and also the seemingly healthy gimbal from the other drive that still spins like a top with fingers. Thank you very much in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• photo331197.png
    photo331197.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • photo331198.png
    photo331198.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • photo331199.png
    photo331199.png
    313.1 KB · Views: 2

Bkforce9

Cadet
I apologize all, this posted twice and this is the duplicate. It kept giving me a server error and said "please try again" when I attempted to post it. Then I go on my profile later and see that it actually did post afterall, and more than once. It gave me that error many times, really hoping it doesn't post it like 7 times by morning.... :facepalm:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
replace the U joints, wirebrush everything else , inspect /replace input shaft seal, replace bellow, replace gimbal bearing Inspect transom housing where bellow attaches for corrosion damage, may need transom replacement

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first..... you didnt pull the drives prior to swapping the motors? that is step 1, it makes is so much easier to get the motors in the boat without a splined shaft shoved up its bum

you had water in the bellows. replace the gimbal, replace the input shaft seal on the drive and replace the unis like BT mentioned

Bkforce9

Cadet
You make a great point! :lol: I went to extreme lengths (I'll spare you the details) to remove both drives before pulling the engines but ended up only getting one side off and had enough room in the engine compartment to carefully pull the motor off of the other because I had a limited timeframe to use the crane to get them out. Later I was able to find some specific sized objects to use the trim motor pop the other one off.

Is the input shaft seal you are referring to the oil seal on the engine side of the gimbal?

This is the DP-SM drive.

Concerning the U joints, when I grease the U joint zerks only clean grease comes out. That change anything? It seems that the u joints are the type without snap rings, and therefore you'd have to replace the entire shaft assembly... I definitely could be wrong about that, just seems that way to me, and had some random tech tell me that (might have been trying to sell me a new assembly).

I defer to your expertise 100%, I just wanted to make sure I gave all relevant information.