1985 36’ Holiday Mansion Houseboat power - inboard vs outboard motor

kittysmack

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1985 36’ holiday mansion Houseboat and there is an issue with whether I have the correct inboard motor that is sitting in the engine compartment. what type of engine did this Houseboat originally come with and what is the best option to power at this point because I don’t think that the inboard is functioning. there’s a Volvo Penta sitting inside of the engine compartment but not hooked up or ready to go. should I just get outboard power and if so what’s the optimal set up for this type of houseboat? All advise and wisdom much appreciated. I am very new to houseboats.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Houseboats are displacement hulls. They move about the same speed with a 100hp outboard as they do with a 300 hp I/O

However in 1985, there were over 6 variations of drives and about 25 different motors

It would help if we know what you have, and what the problems are.

Your post doesn't give enough information to be able to help with your specific needs

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That hull should be the tri hull like the Gibson river/sport models. With a 350 and good drive it will plane off and run low 20's