V-P 5.0 GXiB Belt Tensioner Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-P 5.0 GXiB Belt Tensioner Issue

To release pressure on the serpentine belt for removal, I used a 3/8” ratchet in the square hole on the belt tensioner that’s designed to facilitate rotating the tensioner for belt removal. During that process, the metal flange in which the square hole is stamped broke before I could get the belt removed. Since I could no longer use the ratchet to rotate the belt tensioner, I pushed down on the top of the belt tensioner to relieve the pressure on the belt and was able to remove it.

It appears the only damage done was the broken metal surrounding the square hole. This is my first time removing a serpentine belt. What is the best way to raise the belt tensioner when I want to reinstall the serpentine belt? If I have to replace the belt tensioner assembly, is there any exotic to that?

That is unusual for it to break, and the install/removal just uses the square drive hole. I would do it the same way with the new tensioner

The tensioner only moves so far, so once it stops moving don't move any further, and just install/remove the belt
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 Seadoo GTX
    Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
    G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Working...
    X