Volvo SX-A - Outdrive Noise - u joints and gimble A-OK?

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So, noticed some noise when we're sitting in idle warming up. Kind of a grumbling noise from the outdrive, never noticed it last summer. Boat is an 07 and I figure the u joints, gimble and bellows had never been changed. Time to open 'er open and take a look so I pull the drive and the u joints look like new (minus some chipped paint and grease) and are buttery smooth with no play. Same for gimble, got my fingers in there and turned quite smoothly. Attached pictures of all. Don't see any water intrusion though this my first removal so.... can anyone see anything out of the ordinary or have ideas on what to check next?

Attachments

• photo319429.jpg
    photo319429.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo319430.jpg
    photo319430.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member
Kind of a grumbling noise from the outdrive,

Ayuh,..... Does the noise change when turnin' the wheel lock, to lock, or raisin', 'n lowerin' the drive,..??

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Definitely notice a noise when in hard turns pulling a tube. When idling while beached it was also more noticeable if the revs were higher say 1500-2000 vs idle or the drive was closer to the top of the "beach range".

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I've seen u-joints that felt perfect, without play, that after takin' the bearin' caps off,....

You could see tiny ridges in the cross bearin', that causes sounds,.....

Not sayin' Yer's are,...... Just sayin',...... ;)

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Like Bondo asked, it's important to give details of when you hear and don't hear the noise. If it only happens in neutral idle, generally after warming up, and disappears as soon as put into gear, the SX-A drive is known to develop a "gear tooth chatter" in neutral when warmed up. Once in gear, everything tightens up and it disappears. Volvo says this is normal and to be expected. Not saying it's causing your noise, but pointing out that it's important to provide more details.