Steering knuckle removal

Mzablotsky

Cadet
Hey guys, hope everyone's summer is going smoother than mine! I need to take off my steering column from my outdrive, it's all ready to go, I just need to remove the steering knuckle from inside of it to slide it out. I am having no luck finding a resource that will help, so I am coming to the place I should have started with. I am open to anything, so hopefully you guys can start shooting!! Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,....... What drive ya workin' on,..??..??

Mzablotsky

Cadet
I can't believe I didn't put it down, what a dumb move! I have a bayliner with an aq125 and the outdrive is the volvo penta 270

Mzablotsky

Cadet
Steering Knuckle

Hey guys, hope everyone's summer is going smoother than mine! I need to take off my steering column from my outdrive, it's all ready to go, I just need to remove the steering knuckle from inside of it to slide it out. I am having no luck finding a resource that will help, so I am coming to the place I should have started with. I am open to anything, so hopefully you guys can start shooting!! The boat is a bayliner with an AQ125 engine and the outdrive is the Volvo Penta 270. Thanks

Mzablotsky

Cadet
I'm new to the site man, I'm just trying to get some help and if it means double or triple posting it, I will

Bondo

Staff member
and if it means double or triple posting it, I will

Ayuh,..... I'm tryin' to get you the help you need, but if you don't follow our rules, 'n postin' guidelines,....

You'll find yerself on the outside lookin' in,......

Click on the link in my signature to read those rules, 'n guidelines,.....

A heads up, one of 'em is, one thread per issue,.....

I don't do Volvo drives, but I Will find ya somebody that does,...... ;)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You trying to remove the part that loosens the helmet?
They used 2 kinds of fastner. "Shoulder screw"
One has a single screw holding it in place: remove that and pry the helmet up over the lip.
#2 has 2 screws holding it in place. Remove the 2 screws, then spray all 4 holes with cleaner making sure they are clear.
The 2 smaller holes have threads at the bottom, make sure they're CLEAN/CLEAR!!
The get 2 1/4-20 screws about 3" long.
Insert the screws in the small holes and screw them in a little at a time.
Make sure they go in evenly or it will bind and strip the threads.
This should lift the shoulder screw out.
Then pry the helmet off.

Post a pic if this isn't what you need help with???

kenny nunez

Captain
There is a 3rd style of the stainless insert, it is retained by the 2 stainless socket head screws but there is no extra threaded holes. For “jacking” out the insert. You have to just fight it out of the recess. That was the earlier style before Volvo added the threaded holes.
Now the question is, why do you need to remove what you call the steering column? Try to post some pictures and I am sure we can give you some help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I'm new to the site man, I'm just trying to get some help and if it means double or triple posting it, I will

And that attitude and disregard for the rules gets you kicked off the forums

The factorty manual clearly shows how to remove the steering fork

if you dont have the jacking screws in the pin, take the two screws out, use a 2-pin adjustable pin spanner and twist the pin, it will come out

Mzablotsky

Cadet
Ok, first off, my apologies for double posting, I did not read the rules and guidelines before doing this, I have been in stress mode because of this issue, so I am sorry. Now, about the issue at hand, it is not the helmet, it's the steering knuckle i need to take off, the helmet and the stern have been disconnected, here's some pics of what I need to get out

Attachments

• photo319351.jpg
    photo319351.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo319352.jpg
    photo319352.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 0

kenny nunez

Captain
The part in the picture is the suspension yoke. The stainless tube drives out to separate it from the mid section. Just be careful not to damage the tube.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
while you can do it without a large press. if there is any corrosion, removing the suspension yoke pin is easiest done on a really large H-frame press. that way you gently apply pressure vs beating it out.

Mzablotsky

Cadet
I figured a press would be the only logical solution, just have to find somebody with one, lol...I was gonna beat it out, but used my better judgement to not do so, avoiding a crack somewhere....thank you for the answers!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
its not that you crack anything, its that you mushroom the really really expensive pin