Volvo Penta 5.0 GXi Belt jumps tooth on water pump pulley

bhollehday

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have always noticed a squeal from the belt and started replaced the alternator, idler, tensioner. I put a new belt on too. Now the new belt slips off the water pump pulley by a tooth. I have read that the PS pump is to blame, and it does look about an 1/8” in front of the water pump pulley, but if I move the alternator back, the belt is already on the edge of the idler pulley. Also after looking at the routing it looks like the belt on the water pump pulley would only slip a tooth if the tensioner was too far forward or water pump pulley was too far back. It looks like a need to shim the water pump pulley forward by a little to fix. Can anyone give me some insight here?

Pictures:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GtwP-jE7ZreTdRLYqT-8VqT0d4Hlxml5?usp=sharing

Last edited:

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
When you say water pump pulley. Are referring to the crankshaft pulley? The water pump has a smooth pulley.

The power steering pump pulley can be moved in or out on it’s shaft. Auto parts stores will loan you the special tools to do this.

Aftermarket replacement parts can sometimes cause these problems.

A straight edge placed on the front of the pulleys will tell you where your problem is.

bhollehday

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It’s a Volvo tensioner and idler, aftermarket alternator. When I say water pump pulley I mean the pulley that the impeller and impeller housing mount to (I think that would be a crankshaft pulley?)

do you have any instruction on how to move the PS pump? It seems like If you move it back the belt would start slipping off the idler pulley as it’s already on the edge. And it’s 1/8” away from the alternator bracket too. Have you heard of anyone shimming the crankshaft pulley forward an 1/8”?

bhollehday

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After looking at the entire pulley system, I still think I should try and shim the crankshaft pulley forward. All other pulleys are sitting in front of the crankshaft pulley and that pulley is where it jumps a rib. The belt is on the back edge of the idler pulley already, so moving alternator or PS pump back would push the belt off the edge of the idler...

Can anyone comment on this?

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
move the p/s pulley in or out, the rest should follow, don't start playing games with the crank pulley, adding shims (doubtful but possibley) may through off the crankshaft balance.and why would this suddenly happen?

muc

I would NOT shim the crankshaft pulley.
Do you have the old alternator? You could try putting it back on and see if changes anything. Like I said, aftermarket parts can cause this problem.
Did you use a straight edge to determine all the other pulleys are in a different plane from the crank pulley? This isn’t a job to do by “eyeball” I’ve never seen that before and I have had to shim a lot of engines to stop all that belt dust that you have. The dust is real bad for the rings and cylinders.
I think instructions for removing and installing the P/S pump pulley are in the service manual but I’m not sure because this is such a common job for a mechanic. Maybe YouTube it?
The crank and water pump pulleys are the two that are rarely moved. Shimming is done on the other ones.

bhollehday

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok I want to try adjusting the PS pulley rather. Does anyone have any info on adjusting the belt alignment using the PS pulley? I cant seem to find anything, I understand you need the pulley removal tool to get it off, but am not sure there is a way to adjust the position of it. I have a 5.0 GXi-F, 2006 Larson.

bhollehday

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Alignment of serpentine belt using Power Steering pulley - 5.0 GXi-F

Does anyone have any insight to aligning the belt using the P/S pump pulley? All I can find online are guys shimming the pump back using washers, otherwise replacing the entire mounting bracket with different parts. I've never pulled the PS pulley before, does anyone have any idea what tool I need and if I can adjust the alignment of the pulley on the shaft? 2006 Larson

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the PS pump pulley is pressed on the shaft

for $30 you can get the PS pump pulley removal/driver kit (I think I paid $7 for mine 35 years ago)

Bondo

Staff member
I understand you need the pulley removal tool to get it off, but am not sure there is a way to adjust the position of it.

Ayuh,..... Usin' the removal/ installation tool, you press it on, or pull it out a tiny bit to make the alignment,.....

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... No reason for 2 threads on the same topic,.....

Threads merged,....

bhollehday

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ayuh,..... Usin' the removal/ installation tool, you press it on, or pull it out a tiny bit to make the alignment,.....

Ok, but if its pressed on, is it safe to not press it on all the way if you need to move the pulley forward??

Also should the PS pulley be aligned with the crankshaft pulley? Cause the PS pulley sits at least an 1/8" in front of the crankshaft pulley..and at that point I guess I would have the shim the pump back if its already pressed onto the pump completely?

muc

Never seen a P/S pulley that was all the way on. They are installed so they match up with the other pulleys.

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bhollehday

Did you get it solved? For the Pwr Steering Pump Pulley: as has been pointed out these are pulled off and pressed on with a special tool that you can buy cheap or get a loaner. Make sure you oil up the tool threads as well as the pulley / shaft. However in my experience I have only pressed these pulleys on until the pulley is flush with the shaft, never part way and never more. In other words, the tool, when installing, bottoms out on the end of the shaft, that is how you know you are done > you can 'feel it' when you are turning the wrench. To not bottom out would be the only way to have it in a different position so this would be a trial and error type job. Put pulley on 'most' of the way, take off tools and check alignment. Repeat. You would have to modify the tool somehow to push on the pulley more than flush if that is what is required.

While not cheap, the best way to check the alignment is with a Dayco Belt Diagnostic Kit or similar. This is a laser tool that you can use to check all the pulleys. About $100 new but perhaps can sell it post using it. I have personally tried a straight edge on my VP 5.0 GXi but ended up getting the Dayco due to what I thought was an alignment issue.