steering sensor

joviap

Recruit
Hi there.

I'm writing from Spain so my english might not be very good. Sorry for that in advance.

I've a 38 GT from 2016 with two Volvo Penta D4 300 on sterndrives with joystick control.

A couple of weeks ago I had a reading wich I would trasnlate as :" steering failure, reed owners manual"

I called local VP dealer and we had to get the boat out of the water in middle of our holidays and got 3 rams and both steering sensors of port sterndrive replaced (800 euro + 21% VAT for each sensor).

Now two weeks later and after seen some oil traces in the water too, I get the same message from the starboard engine control screen.

I really don't know what the problem could be. What could be the probability that 4 independent sensor (In case starboard have to get replaced too) pass by the same month.

As said before sorry for my poor english and thank you in advance

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy Joviap
Not sure if anyone here would have insight to your issue other then maybe muc and that is just a maybe. The newer digital controls haven't been out long and I for one know next to nothing about them.

Oil in the water would have me looking from where

Sure sorry I'm unable to help but maybe my comment will get some others to come in

joviap

Recruit
Thank you for your response!

Next week I will take the boat out of the water again and look if the VP service can find the oil leak and find out why this failure message comes from. But as said, what really surprises me is that the sensors die by pairs. I don't know much about mechanics but I think the probability shouldn't be very big.

I'll post the results so if it happens to anybody else.

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds great and look forward to reading the results, thanks

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Sorry, but I don’t think anybody can answer your question without much more information. Engine serial numbers, fault codes and part numbers of replacement parts.

But it what I do read is that you had 3 bad rams on a 3 year old Volvo. This seems very unusual and I think you should be asking the technician WHY these failures happened. Finding the cause and correcting it could save you a lot of trouble.