Grease Gimbal bearing on 1995 SX?

harojs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
[Q1] Can you grease the gimbal bearing on a 1995 SX via a couple pumps of grease to the Zerc grease fitting on right side of SX without removing drive?

[Q2] When gimbal bearing needs grease, does it give you warning?

I'm hearing a low volume noise that might be the gimbal bearing starting to complain and wondering if a shot of grease will make it happier until I can do a full maintenance on the SX this fall.

harojs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Found the below post on a MarineEngine.com forum ... - but, does that imply the drive could still be mounted? I wonder how much grease/pumps to inject?

"If your gimbal bearing is serviceable (meaning that there is a grease port that directs new grease into the bearing), be sure to do this dynamically.
In other words, add grease with the engine operating at idle speed.
Doing this dynamically helps ensures a more complete exchange of old for new!

And NO...... you will likely not see this being suggested in an OEM service or workshop manual."

harojs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
FYI - There are danger notes in other posts about using the gimbal zerc on SX. Apparently, zerc connects to a plastic tube to mount to gimbal housing. Tube can crack if mated wrong with grease gun. If tube cracks, water can get into gimbal. Difficult to replace plastic tube. There is a link in that post for info on how better replace plastic tube with threaded zerc.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...e-getting-to-grease-nipple-for-gimbal-bearing

Last edited:

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer
Grease it. You can’t over grease the bearing. It’s not sealed and any extra grease just collect in the bellows.

If if that doesn’t quiet it down, it could be your u-joints that are making the noise.