Weird Acceleration

Dandydan

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Grub. I am afraid I may end up doing that. I wonder if I would do any good with some carb cleaner and compressed air? Also I did get some water out of the tank but just checked the new filter and it had already collected about 1/3 of its contents in water. There is also a clear tube that returns to the fuel pump from the carburetor. It’s seems to have quite a bit of liquid in it. Cause for concern or is it just doing its job?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
You need to syphon the fuel out of the tank till you get clean fuel. Find the fuel pickup and Jack the trailer to get the pickup lower than the front of the tank as the pickup is usually in the rear of the tank. Then add some heat de-watering stuff to absorb the remaining water. Best to drain the tank completely. I take a rag on a stick or wire to mop up the remaining junk in the bottom of the tank, remove the fuel sender to get in there.
The clear tube is there for a safety measure if the fuel pump if the pump is failing, it routes the fuel to the carb so it don't go into the bilge and cause an explosion. So yes, your pump is bad. You may smell fuel on the oil dipstick if the pump is bypassing, or the oil level will keep getting fuller as fuel is getting into the oil. Not good to have that situation.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks Grub. I am afraid I may end up doing that. I wonder if I would do any good with some carb cleaner and compressed air? Also I did get some water out of the tank but just checked the new filter and it had already collected about 1/3 of its contents in water. There is also a clear tube that returns to the fuel pump from the carburetor. It’s seems to have quite a bit of liquid in it. Cause for concern or is it just doing its job?

First, carb cleaner and compressed air is just the beginning. You will need to chase every passage with a fune wire. I have evenbused pin drills to clean passages

Second, that clear tube is tellung you your fuel pump is shot. A new one is about $50 ( carter marine pump from summit or jegs)