VP 8.1 Gi-F - Circ pump hose removal - will I flood the bilge?! Fuel filter question

winbasic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,
I'm trying to familiarise myself with the engines by doing some basic maintenance. There is a small 'L' shaped hose that sits on top of the circulation pump (VP Part #3861298)m and connects to the circulation tube (VP Part #
3861308) - I undid the clamps and started to remove the hose and noticed water dripping so put the hose back on and did up the clamp. Boat is in the water so had me thinking - is this just residual water in the system or am I likely to flood the bilge by taking the hose off and trying to get the new one on? My limited understanding (from when the manifolds/risers were replaced) is that there is no seacock to turn the flow of sea water off as the sea water input is via the legs.

Next question; Fuel filters. Having consulted the VP Website, I ordered a pair of fuel filters for my engine. However upon inspecting the engine, it appears to have the larger filters installed. Both are fuel/water separators. There is a bulletin out advising the longer filters if using ethanol. Should I return the shorter filters and get the longer ones or am I better off using the shorter filters? Unleaded and our marinas generally speaking have pretty good fuel quality due to the lack of them and high turnover of fuel in our location.

Just wanting to check before I potentially turn the boat into a submarine. Thanks in advance for assistance and apologies in advance for those more skilled for whom this newbie query makes their head hurt!!

It wasn't an overly progressive day for the planned maintenance of oil filter replacement having tried to undo the oil filter and snapping the remote filter housing. I'm sure the last guy used a rattle gun to do them up!

Kind Regards,

David.

alldodge

Staff member
The 90 degree hose will let out residual water but nothing more, your safe

The long filter can hold more water but if you have water in the fuel there would be other issues. My opinion is use the short ones and don't worry about it