4.3 Sluggish acceleration until boat warms up

Wonderfullife46

Recruit
4.3 Volvo/Penta (2013)
Starts fine. Idles fine. But when I hit the throttle - nothing. Simply goes nowhere. Once it finally goes after warming up for few minutes the problem disappears during that outing but reappears after the boats sits for an afternoon. Boat new to me. Consignment dealer says it's likely old fuel. ?? Tried fuel stabilizer, no results this first day. Have not run through the initial tank of gas which came with the boat. Next steps and if it's simply a dealer call, what would be likely culprits for me to ask them to check?
male_pearl_avatar_30x30.png

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Probably sound advice would be not to even open the throttle until it’s warmed up really.
Im maybe presuming it’s an mpi at this age ? I have the larger v8 mpi and it runs rich until warmed up. Perhaps that’s your issue ? How long after starting do you mean ?

Wonderfullife46

Recruit
Maybe 5 minutes but seems longer when you simply just want to jump in and go. Previous Mercruiser never had an issue like this. Does not seem normal.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have the same engine and no problems however I always let it get to operating temp before I drop the hammer

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It just needs warmed up. They run way rich when cold. Very evident on my merc version. It blows fuel straight out the exhaust into water when cold.

alldodge

Staff member
It's a Volvo Penta 4.3 GXI
#A212379

Being a 2013 it may have digital throttle system (DTS), and if it does then there may be an issue with it. Do you know if it is DTS?

If not then thinking throttle position sensor (TPS), its not making a good connection or internal issues. Wonder why your not getting any beeps. Use a volt meter and measure voltage at the TPS when throttle is moved