Four Winns shifter cable PN for Volvo SX - looking for advice

jgibbs2037

Cadet
Hello

I am trying to figure out what shifter cable I need based on boat info. I could not find a part number stamped on it anyplace, and didnt remove it to measure it, as I was advised that its easier to snake the new one thru by using the old one as a fish-tape. Especially since I will have to do it in the water.

Does anyone have any good four winns or volvo part lookup websites?

Its a 2000 Four Winns H190 -
Hull # - FWNMC477A000

The outdrive is a VP SX-M
Serial # - 4112097107
Product# - 3868891

Any help would be appreciated, the boat is not at home, and I'm hoping to get the right one the first time.

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just changed the shift cable on my Four Winns with a DP-SM drive (Like the SX but dual prop) and the shift mechanism is similar.

The cable replacement is a Teleflex Extreme cable. In my case I had a 15’ cable. You can call Four Winns tech support and they can tell you the cable length.

The install was involved but not bad, hardest part was getting the upholstery panels off the side where the shifter is. Since I was able to access my cable through the entire side of my hull to the engine compartment I didn’t use my old cable as a snake, nor need to. The tie straps holding the old cable(and other cables) was tight so I doubt I could have used the old cable as a snake anyhow. Going from the Outdrive into the engine compartment does not require a snake, you can grease the cable with soap and push it down to the drive carefully with no snake needed.

Being in the water will pose the biggest challenge since this cable goes from the shifter all the way to the back of the Outdrive. On the Outdrive side you need to remove the cover, and then the shift mechanism and cable end is exposed. There is a very small cotter style pin that I would imagine will be hard to deal with in the water. I guess it may be possible but it will definitely add to the adventure of installing it.

Also, adjusting the cable took a bunch of adjusting at both ends so that’s another factor to consider being in the water.

My guess is you have a 14’ or 15’ cable and Four Winns recommends Teleflex Extreme cables.

If you need more tips shout.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I would strongly consider getting the boat out of the water for this job!

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just changed the shift cable on my Four Winns with a DP-SM drive (Like the SX but dual prop) and the shift mechanism is similar.

The cable replacement is a Teleflex Extreme cable. In my case I had a 15’ cable. You can call Four Winns tech support and they can tell you the cable length.

The install was involved but not bad, hardest part was getting the upholstery panels off the side where the shifter is. Since I was able to access my cable through the entire side of my hull to the engine compartment I didn’t use my old cable as a snake, nor need to. The tie straps holding the old cable(and other cables) was tight so I doubt I could have used the old cable as a snake anyhow. Going from the Outdrive into the engine compartment does not require a snake, you can grease the cable with soap and push it down to the drive carefully with no snake needed.

Being in the water will pose the biggest challenge since this cable goes from the shifter all the way to the back of the Outdrive. On the Outdrive side you need to remove the cover, and then the shift mechanism and cable end is exposed. There is a very small cotter style pin that I would imagine will be hard to deal with in the water. I guess it may be possible but it will definitely add to the adventure of installing it.

Also, adjusting the cable took a bunch of adjusting at both ends so that’s another factor to consider being in the water.

My guess is you have a 14’ or 15’ cable and Four Winns recommends Teleflex Extreme cables.

If you need more tips shout.

How much was the cable?