Water pouring out of exhaust manifold

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Looks like a casting plug popped out. Did someone forget to winterize this engine? When water freezes it expands and breaks things.

timkunce

Recruit
It was my first time owning and winterizing this boat, I could have missed something, but I did drain the water from the block, and disconnected all the hoses.

I did find a piece of round metal that looks like a casting plug @ the bottom of the bilge. Just hammer it back in?

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
There is a drain on that exhaust manifold also. Only 2 drains on that engine but you are also supposed disconnect the bottom end of the big hose that connects the thermostat housing to the front circulating pump.
You can hammer it back in, I'd coat the edges with something like Permatex Aviation sealer. If you see water leaking from any other part of it though you will need a new exhaust manifold....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Is the engine overheating? It looks like the exhaust is not being adequately cooled and the rubber exhaust hoses are leaking, maybe from a past overheat. What is your engine temp? It should be between 160-175 or so. You may need to replace the raw water impeller and check the thermostat housing for blockages feeding the hose to the exhaust manifold. It’s possible if you ran it for a while with the casting plug out the elbow water exit area overheated and melted the rubber exhaust hose.

timkunce

Recruit
Engine temperature is right around 160-170, nothing crazy. Just replaced the water impeller, because for some reason the previous owner gave me one with the boat...and the old one looked fine, all the fins were in good shape....

I think that situation makes sense...if I just seal up those hoses, I should be good to go...especially since the engine is at normal temperature, with normal oil pressure, etc.

One of the hoses coming out of the circulation pump is sticky...makes me wonder if it was once melted...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
There may have been a previous overheat because those hoses normally last the life of the boat. Just make sure they fit right and you have no raw water leaks in the bilge from the exhaust. Your exhaust temps should be below 150*. If you own an I/O boat its a good idea to get an IR temp gun and take readings of your exhaust temps. If the exhaust really overheats it can be dangerous because those hoses can melt and water will flood into the bilge. If the boat was used in salt water the elbow outlets could be clogged with rust, causing high temps, even if the engine does not overheat.