Volvo penta sx first time out disaster

Hello all , i have an 88 imperial with a volvo 4.3 gl mated to a volvo penta sx outdrive. Previous owner had all service done. I picked up my outdrive from mechanic from storage and installed it. Yester was our maiden voyage. Would going into reverse from trailer. Figured out the trim seemed like it was messing with the shifter cable. Went out , came back in going back on trailer winch strap snapped. Boat rolled backwards and now was stuck in reverse no matter what position you put the lever. Damged the prop and god knows what else.

HELLLPPPPP

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: to iBoats . . .

Thanks for sharing your 'first time out' experience. Is this your first boat? What would you like us to do?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Your story is a bit hard to follow. Sounds like the problem started with the shift cable which potentially caused issues with being able to trim the outdrive?
Have you ever installed an outdrive before? What steps did you follow? What is the condition of the shift cable? Does the cable slide freely within the sheath if you disconnect the outdrive end and work the throttle control arm forward and backward?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Another thought - did you locking tab on the shift cable properly? If it is not in its slot....