DP or SX

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
I have been doing a lot of Googling for new boat purchase (21') and the general consensus is Volvo is a far better choice for small boat salt water use.
With SX drive being far superior to Alpha (only advantage of Alpha is cheaper spares and more servicing places) Now this gives me a quandary - and hence this Q. (would get 240hp)
I always use Mercury High-Five Props ... for water-sports hole-shot .....
You can't get a 5 blade prop as standard (there are 3rd party I know) .... so how do I get same hole-shot from an SX drive ? OK I know I could go to the DP .... but that is a lot more expense and most reviews say benefits of DP not that good on smaller boats, more weight, more drag, less trim (before prop pierces water), expensive props etc.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a DP on my 21ft 6" Cranchi, the acceleration is amazing. Motor is a 5.0 Gi rated at 280hp, care is needed on the throttle when deep water starting a skier on a mono, skiing without gloves is not an option! Props are F4's.

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
With a standard prop ... for any given range ... High Five, Vengence etc. .... only one prop will have the right pitch to get you in WOT spot.
Do DP have only 'one range' of props and therefore only one set of DP props and only one pitch will be right for the WOT.
I'm unaware if there are water-sports DP and HighSpeed DP etc. Volvo site not very helpful.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you buy a boat with a DP drive, 99.99% of the time, the props that come on the boat from the factory with the drive are the props you need. the props chosen cover everything....holeshot and top speed. VP does a really good job setting up the drives on boats.

that being stated, you are over-thinking it.

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
I’m guilty as charged .... of wanting to think it out fully .... this is a huge spend for me ..... I know how many times I have changed props to get boat set right .... don’t want to make a purchase mistake.

Is the 240 a good match to a DP some posts say smaller engines struggle.

Last edited:

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A Merc High 5 will work on a SX drive. Just need the right hub kit

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Is the 240 a good match to a DP some posts say smaller engines struggle.

cant answer. however make sure to take any boat for a sea trial prior to purchasing.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. My thoughts, having owned these drives.

The VP DP is an incredible piece of engineering. As AD says. I’ve never known a DP to be pitched wrongly either. They are always spot on. Only thing is. When they go wrong...you could buy a new Alpha one or SX for the cost of repairing a DP.

I currently have an Alpha one. Although a less sophisticated thing...it’s so simple to pull off, repair, work on and handle in general. Good and frequent gear oil and she will last for decades. So cheap to maintain. I’m currently running about 300hp through one no problems. Just go easy on the throttle from slow speeds or go down a pitch if you need to tow. High fives are good for home shot on Alpha and sx drives, but you will certainly loose efficiency, economy and top end compared to a 3 blade. They have their place and use but I much prefer a good quality 3 blade stainless to one anyday. Just get it pitched right.

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
Hi. My thoughts, having owned these drives.

The VP DP is an incredible piece of engineering. As AD says. I’ve never known a DP to be pitched wrongly either. They are always spot on. Only thing is. When they go wrong...you could buy a new Alpha one or SX for the cost of repairing a DP.
I currently have an Alpha one. Although a less sophisticated thing...it’s so simple to pull off, repair, work on and handle in general..

Agree had several Aplhas ... never had one fail. Annual service & impeller Change.
The use is probably the opposite of what you recommend ... watersports, which most of time it is full throttle starts to pop skiers or Hydrofoil out of the water .... High Five been ideal for that ... it runs high 40s .. but we rarely use that, it’s just watersports use..
Previous Boats never gave me a power option ... it was only Mercruiser.
Now Four Winns gives me the option.
I had though( of Merc 4.5L ... but would not get Merc Duprop, I am 100% salt water use and too many issues with corrosion. The Other Bravo drives do not make sense on a 21’ bow rider.

The all aluminium fresh water cooled Volvo with cone clutch, lighter weight, excellent reliability & good corrosion resistance seems worth considering.
If I go that route the choice is then DP or SX. Hence this post.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Not possible .... I am not in US, boat will be built & imported to order ... dealers don’t hold stock

Horizon 210?
Watersports?
Have you checked out the Surf?

Has the dealer your working been to the Four Winns dealer meeting and driven the type of boat your interested in? Or are they working from the catalog?

The Four Winns dealer I worked for would REALLY try to talk you out of the DP

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Muc why did they try to talk customers out of the DP? Repair cost?
Everything I have ever heard is that the performance is much better as is low speed maneuvering but if you hit something lots a luck gotta have insurance. My brother had a Cobalt with a Volvo DP (AQ style) and had a bottom strike that cost $6000 to repair, but they had insurance lucky for them.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Muc why did they try to talk customers out of the DP? Repair cost?
Everything I have ever heard is that the performance is much better as is low speed maneuvering but if you hit something lots a luck gotta have insurance. My brother had a Cobalt with a Volvo DP (AQ style) and had a bottom strike that cost $6000 to repair, but they had insurance lucky for them.

No, not repair cost at all. Because if you own a boat you really need insurance. And if you hit something with a DP that costs $6000, that same hit with a SP will be over $5000 and your already in to your deductible at that point.

It’s because if your willing to spend that money, it will bring more fun spent upgrading something else. Under 23’ to 25’ a DP upgrade doesn’t help all that much. There are a few reasons to upgrade to DP on a smaller boat. On some hulls it will do a pretty good job of masking the flaws of an under powered engine and can be cheaper than a bigger engine. But only some hulls. Also years ago it would allow a runabout to do a fair job as a watersports boat.

A lot of people don’t understand how important hull design is to the overall enjoyment of a boat.
I’ve driven 1000s of boats. The first couple of surf drives I ran were really good and talking with the sales department afterwards I said “this is more of a game changer then when the DP first came out” the owner of the dealership said “yes these are good, but Wait a year or two when hull design catches up” and now after driving the latest versions, wow was he right.

Most boats are comprise, they will do a lot of things pretty good. A couple of exceptions are bass boats and wake boats, they do one thing really well but are really bad at anything else. A surf drive will function as a water sports boat exceptionally well and still work as good as any runabout.

This is is why I was asking the OP if they have access to a top notch sales department. Because their experience can be invaluable. They have been to all the dealer meetings and driven all the different boats with all the possible engine packages. They know “what’s worth it”.

I’ve been involved in more than a few special order boats. Sometimes people wanted a bigger boat but didn’t want to pay for the bigger power. Sometimes they want speed so they opt for the smaller boat with the bigger motor. It usually doesn’t work out well. ——- note that this only applies to I/O boats, if your getting a O/B, make sure the motor is at minimum within 10% of the max rating for the hull!

i know not everyone has access to a good dealer. In my early years I worked for a couple of places that sold on cost not value and there is a big difference. That’s what these boards are for. But remember some of the advice you get here will be “misinformed” it comes from people that have good intentions but don’t know your boating conditions or how you will use the boat. Please talk to a good dealer and other boaters in your area who use their boats the way you think you will use yours.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Thanks that makes sense. I have an '88 H-200 which has a true deep V hull with a 21* deadrise and it has always handled well on the water, but I feel it needs trim tabs to correct a list to port at certain speeds.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
+1 on the above, but I think ALL boats are a compromise (maybe that's why we have so many). In a 21 ft, I'm not sure if the extra cost of everything DP is warranted - unless you want simpler steering of the craft. I've got a VP SX on my 24 ft, have driven my brother's 24 ft with merc DP. I like the SX, and it's older, handling the boat is not a big issue

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
To answer Q on getting bigger Boat instead .... definitely not an option for me, for several reasons ... if I go bigger, then need a bigger engine, then it uses more fuel. ( it’s equivalent of $7.82 gal here)
I tow - so bigger than 22’ too heavy for me. Plus I have a boat shed and there are height limits on entrance access.

As to dealer ... unknown, but seems competent.

So trying to figure out if a DP is worth the significant extra cost ... on the 210 SR.

The motor would be the 240hp.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
If you’re happy with the high five for water sports stick with the SX and use a high five. I run a Revolution 4 for the same reason and it works great outperforms any 3 blade where I use my boat (hole shot/towing/full propel load)...