Fuel fill very slow - boat initially hard to start - Volvo Penta 4.3L GL

last year I was concerned that the breather tube for the fuel tank on my boat was plugged up. I have to pour the gas very slowly to keep it from gushing out t. Also the initial starting of the boat every time we put it in the water seems to be difficult (even with hitting the button on the throttle to take it out of gear and give it gas). I attempted to get the breather and fuel fill hoses off of the boat but without success so I could determine if they were plugged up.

Is it possible that the breather is plugged up and causing my fuel pump to work harder than it should? Is it worth a trip to the mechanic to have them have a look at this? I am not willing to try and pull them off again as I know I will not do any better this time again.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Try starting and running around with the fuel cap off or cracked open. If it works like that the tank vent is suspect.

I don't think that's your problem, but it's a starting place. Some boats just notorious slow fuel filler-uppers.

After you get her running and warmed, is she easier to start?

Try starting and running around with the fuel cap off or cracked open. If it works like that the tank vent is suspect.

I don't think that's your problem, but it's a starting place. Some boats just notorious slow fuel filler-uppers.

After you get her running and warmed, is she easier to start?

In the past i have tried to start it with the cap open and it doesn't seem to help.

Once she is warmed up she is very easy to get started again

GA_Boater

A GL is carbed, isn't it? Check choke operation.

How do you start her? What is your procedure?

it is carbed, i imagine there is a walk through somewhere in these forums for the choke operation?

to start i hit the button on the throttle to take her out of gear, put to max throttle then pull back quickly then turn it over when the throttle is just a little past idle (would be in gear if not for the button). After that when i can't seem to get any action i open the gas cap and also have a look at the carb under the flame arrestor to see what is happening there (ie: how choked it is and if any fuel is coming out). I think there has always been fuel coming out

GA_Boater

Take off the flame arrestor and do the throttle only, but don't start.

Is the choke fully closed? Push on it the plate to see if it will close more.

with the flame arrestor off the choke remains fully closed until I am at WOT without it running. At WOT the choke opens. I pushed on the plate and it was not possible to close it more.

i should also mention i haven't put a battery into her yet, i assume the choke is mechanical but i do see some wires there so just not 100% sure

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The choke is not connected to the throttle? On a cold motor ,open the throttle. Choke should close. Pump throttle once or twice ,leave throttle slightly open, crank motor

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Most later model (after 1990 or so) Volvos have a Holley Marine carb, these all use electric chokes, it should close with a cold engine and after it starts the vacuum break should pull it open a fraction of an inch, then the choke heater (black circular piece on the starboard side of the carb) should heat up and pull it all the way open (usually after about 5 min run time). If the choke is working correctly then the carb probably needs a rebuild.

Attachments

• photo310561.jpg
    photo310561.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 1
The choke is not connected to the throttle? On a cold motor ,open the throttle. Choke should close. Pump throttle once or twice ,leave throttle slightly open, crank motor

The choke was closed to begin with, when i pumped it and left the throttle slightly open and cranked motor it remained fully choked. When I pumped it and approached WOT it started to open then and was open wide at WOT. Hopefully that makes sense.....

First photo is with throttle slightly open. Second photo is WOT.
20190413_101545-small.jpg
20190413_101823 - small.jpg

Most later model (after 1990 or so) Volvos have a Holley Marine carb, these all use electric chokes, it should close with a cold engine and after it starts the vacuum break should pull it open a fraction of an inch, then the choke heater (black circular piece on the starboard side of the carb) should heat up and pull it all the way open (usually after about 5 min run time). If the choke is working correctly then the carb probably needs a rebuild.

it appears that this is what I have. Right now i can't run it to check if it is performing in this manner as it is still freezing here at night. I suspect it was running this way last year or it probably wouldn't have performed very well? I will check this once it gets warmer here. Is there a guide on rebuilding a carb in the forums somewhere? Attached is what mine looks like.
20190413_101945-small.jpg .
20190413_101951-small.jpg

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That's the choke unloader, it opens the choke via the linkage when you put the throttle at wide open

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You can check if the choke heater is working without running it by carefully disconnecting the + connection at the choke heater and then run a jumper wire from the + terminal to the battery + terminal. (Make sure not to touch any metal on the engine with the wire when you do this because it will be a direct short to ground...sparks...not good..). The choke plate should open to full vertical in 3-5 min. There is a lot of info on rebuilding Holley carbs out there and you can order a marine rebuild kit right off of their website. Check out:

www.holley.com

keep in mind that 90% of rebuilding a carb properly is cleaning it, you need good carb cleaner and a source of compressed air (I use a small air compressor, one of the little hot dog style ones works fine much better than cans of compressed air). If you do this yourself make sure to wear eye protection. I did my Quadrajet over the summer and it ran 100% better after a good cleaning and re-build (new needle/seat, gaskets, etc.)

Q-Jet rebuild small.jpg

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
PS I looked at the pic of your choke heater, the + terminal is the one with that blue splice thing on it, that looks like someone did a less than good re-wiring job, if it does not work, check for 12V at that wiring terminal when the engine is running. If not you may have to re-terminate that with a new push on terminal.

maybe i should create a new thread for this? I also decided to test the pressure on my fuel pump by removing the fuel line into the carb and putting my finger on the end of the line. i then had my wife turn it over and it seems as though there is very little pressure on that line. I can easily keep my finger on the end of the line. Should it be this weak? Also i had the fuel fill open just to be sure that nothing there was holding it back.

GA_Boater

Don't start a new thread. Even the fuel pump can contribute to hard starting.

A mechanical pump - Right? A finger over the line isn't a good test. Mechanical pumps don't put out much pressure.

Was gas in the line when you took it off the carb? Even a dribble?

Last edited:
PS I looked at the pic of your choke heater, the + terminal is the one with that blue splice thing on it, that looks like someone did a less than good re-wiring job, if it does not work, check for 12V at that wiring terminal when the engine is running. If not you may have to re-terminate that with a new push on terminal.

i just tried this, i used a larger gauge wire than it would have normally but the choke opened in about 40 seconds. i imagine if i had used a smaller gauge it would have taken longer to open (i think it was 14 gauge that i had)