Long oil filter vs short

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long oil filter vs short

So just checking on this one. I went down to autozone to get some oil and filter. Just told it’s a 94 Chevy 5.7. TBI. The filter they sold me was shorter than the one that was on it i orders last year from Volvo Penta store. It their any significant difference between the short vs long. I know the boat runs at 4000-4200rpms cruise. Would the shorter oil filter not be sufficiently flowing oil at high rpms?
    2000 chaparral 216 ssi 5.7L GSI Volvo pent SX outdrive 1:43 G ratio.... 2016 Yamaha wolverine R spec blue]

longer filter has more surface area so the pressure drop is less, therefore more filtration prior to bypassing

Me... I prefer to run the largest diameter filter that I can in the longest length I can with a 30psi bypass valve and an anti-drainback valve

Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

They used to make a 2 qt. Chevy spin on filter. About a foot long. Current engine conditions..if you NEED a big filter, you've got other problems. Howver, I still prefer a 1 qt filter also. The critical factor..will it physically fit?

Don't buy a cheap filter for marine use..the "can" is usually thinner, and can rust thru sooner.

Comment

they make filters up to about 8.3" long with the 13/16-16 thread that would fit the motor. however may not fit the bilge.

http://www.wixfilters.com/lookup/FilterBySize.aspx

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats

Comment

Cool. Ok got it thanks fellas.
          2000 chaparral 216 ssi 5.7L GSI Volvo pent SX outdrive 1:43 G ratio.... 2016 Yamaha wolverine R spec blue]

Comment

I noticed that both Merc/Quicksliver and Sierra are making smaller filters now for the 4.3. Kinda like a mini filter like the ones I had on my Toyotas back in the ‘80s.
            1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
            4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
            07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

you mean they are private labeling smaller filters. Neither Mercruiser or Sierra make filters, they buy em with their label on them.

Past Boats

Comment

yep. I use em because that is what's easy to find here, but I wonder if a plain old auto application 4.3 filter would be better being a bit larger.
                1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
                4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
                07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

I'm with the 'bigger is better' crowd. More filter media has to be a good thing. Also a touch more oil circulating can't be bad.
                  '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

Yea I’m going to stick with the larger filter from now on. Knowing more about it. And that the boat motor runs st such high RPMs

Comment

4000-4200 rpms cruise ? That's pretty close to WOT rpm. Your motor wont last too many years if that your cruising rpm. It should be about 1000 less
                      2004 Caravelle 187

Comment

I had that thought about that right after I bought a CC RZT. The engine is right behind the seat. After an hour of mowing; that aluminum block radiated heat. IR gun showed 220dg. I was thinking a bigger filter (requiring more oil) would make it run cooler. Wrong! Still ran the same temp.

Comment

Scratching my head on this one....A larger diameter and length would increase filter capacity but not necessarily increase filter efficiency. The type and method of filtration will have a much larger affect than size

https://www.machinerylubrication.com...ose-oil-filter

Comment

agreed diameter and length increases capacity and filter media (material and size) determines efficiency.

it also determines the pressure drop across the filter based on the flow output from the pump. generally filters with a higher bypass valve pressure have a better filter media. and generally the larger the filter media size, the lower the pressure drop across the filter.

remember when the bypass opens, there is effectively no filter (all oil systems have a bypass somewhere)

while some filters may be sold as "full-flow" there is still the bypass valve in the block itself

Past Boats

Comment

That "Running cooler" thing was a Senior thought! All of my stuff has the room for the bigger filter; that's what I use, Takes more oil; but I don't care.Oil and filter change every 4K.

Comment

Working...
                              X