Alternator Volvo Penta 5.0L (305GM) 1997-1998

HA007

Recruit
I have a 5.0L 1997-1998 Volvo Penta (Model 5.0L GLPBYC). Replaced the alternator but there were no marks in the old one. In the new one I have the following connectors: B, S, EXC, P, L2 and E. The cables I have are: a large orange, from this one a smaller one splits out, a solid purple, a purple with a while line that have a cover, a black and the last one is like ivory (it could be yellow or white if is stained with time). If some know how they should be connect please advise. thanks!

Attachments

• photo303880.jpg
    photo303880.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have the same alt on my OMC (Mando, ARCO aftermarket) and the thing I noticed I that the P terminal does not give charging voltage with the engine running, (more like 6-->7v) so if that engine has a Holley carb, it needs a full 12V at least to open the electric choke. Back when I was trying to get a Holley to work on my 4.3 (went back to the Rochester Q-Jet but that's another story) I found that I had to hook up the electric choke pos terminal to the L2 terminal on the Alt which gave charging voltage only with the engine running.

I'm not sure if Volvo's OE alts were set up different but the ones ARCO is selling for OMCs and Volvos are this way. So if you wire it that way and your choke does not open all the way, that's why. Other than that its simple, the S (sense) terminal has a jumper wire to the B+ large orange wire (charging output) and the E terminal (excite) gets the purple wire hooked up to it. The E terminal is actually a ground, most people probably don't hook it up since the bracket grounds it to the engine but it couldn't hurt to run a wire to a good engine ground either.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The P terminal is just an AC tap off one of the windings. That's why it goes to the choke.

You better have a green wire somewhere or your fuel pump won't turn on. It goes to the coil of the fuel pump relay through a diode.

HA007

Recruit
I do not have green cable, therefore can I assume the following?
instead there an Ivory (it could be yellow or white stained with time?) cable, connect this one to L2?
Orange cable goes to B
Smaller Orange goes to S
Purple & white line goes to P
Solid Purple goes to EXC
Black goes to E

If assumptions are not correct how I can test them to determine correct connections?

Thank you very much!