2007 GXI-G ringing noise coming from engine

Shade Tree boy

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all..my 2006 or 2007 GXi-g makes a ringing noise at certain rpms. I suspect it is the power steering pump because the fluid gets really frothy after a while on the water. I have also observed considerable amounts of oil in the discharge water from the bilge and from the drain plug. So far I have had no problems with the performance of the steering. Power steering works like it should. I am trying to be proactive and anticipate a problem before something breaks on the water. Please advise. Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
observed considerable amounts of oil in the discharge water from the bilge

Sounds like you have 2 issues
The power steering is leaking fluid and your boat is leaking water. Trace the hoses to/from the pump, to steering ram and to oil cooler. Also look for where water is leaking in.

Get some oil sorb cloth to put in the bilge to soak up the oil so it doesn't make it into the water
https://www.ebay.com/bhp/oil-absorbent-pads

Shade Tree boy

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks All dodge. The boat isn’t leaking water. This I am sure of. The water I’m talking about is either rain or water coming into the boat by way of skiers and swimmers. My question is more specifically about the ringing noise, frothy power steering fluid, and the oil leakage. Are these tell tale signs of a power steering pump going bad?

alldodge

Staff member
Having foamy oil tells me the pump does not have enough oil in it so it is whipping air in with. Lack of lube can make the pump make more noise

Shade Tree boy

Seaman Apprentice
I agree although I have checked the level consistently. I checked today and it’s right at the level it should be when cold. I don’t want to overfill it right?

alldodge

Staff member
Don't want to over fill, but if its foaming, and oil is getting in the bilge and the water, then you have a leak. So either you sucking in water which would mean the PS cooler has a leak, or the measuring technique is not correct

Shade Tree boy

Seaman Apprentice
So I found the oil cooler and inspected all connected hoses. I see no evidence of a leak whatsoever. Everything is try and clean. I have added some more ps fluid and will take her out this weekend. I will report back. Thanks for your expertise!

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
I'd love to hear other theories on ringing. My boat makes a ringing noise while cruising at 3000 rpm that I haven't been able to chase down very well since it only occurs while under way with load on the engine. From the couple of times I've investigated it with the engine cover up going at 30 mph (!), it appears to be coming from the port side of the engine around the exhaust riser or inboard of that. My PS pump shows no signs of foaming or leaking.

Shade Tree, I hope you don't mind me adding to your thread. I debated starting my own, but figured any responses may also help you.

Last edited:

Shade Tree boy

Seaman Apprentice
Glad to have you in here Horgan.

I put about 50 miles on her this weekend. Still getting the ringing noise and frothy ps fluid. Fluid level reads about 1/4” high now.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like you have an air lock in the PS . Next time your out fire it up and while idling turn the steering wheel from full lock to full lock. Just keep doing this till the noise goes away. Should take care of the problem