2000 5.7 GSi PEFS - Oil leak near distributor?

YYZ-RC

Cadet
I've got oil leaking from somewhere up high on the engine, I believe on the port side near the transom. The oil is running down the port/stern area of the engine near the serial number plate.

Is there a common spot for a leak in this area? I've read that it's possible to have a leak from the distributor spindle (?) or from the oil pressure sender port.

Any advice to track this down would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
port side near the transom

Below the distributor on the lower deck of the block would be your oil pressure switch, they crack and can leak

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The other chance of leaking is the RTV sealant between the block and intake. However the oil switch/sender that AllDodge mentioned would be the first place to look.

You will need to get eyes back there to see the leak

YYZ-RC

Cadet
Looks like the leak is between the oil pressure sender elbow and "adapter" (as VP calls it; from the block to the elbow).

I'm going to go ahead and replace all 3 parts to be sure; any tips on replacement? It looks to be just unscrew and reinstall - should I use any sort of thread sealant/teflon tape on the new parts?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Just as you say, and a little tape or pipe dope never hurts

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Most likely, simply pulling it all apart and reinstalli,g with pipe dope is all you need

YYZ-RC

Cadet
So I can get the adapter and the sender from VP no problem, but the elbow is on back order. Is this an off-the shelf "Home Depot" street elbow? Do you know the thread size and are the threads the same size male/female? Seems like they might be 1/8 NPT based on some Googling...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Racor-sensor-Volvo-Penta-3852503-245432898_1.jpg?VersionId=Hat63wamuTDP0bX27bitk._k5UAOlOBJ.jpg Views:	1 Size:	11.5 KB ID:	10659709

Last edited:

YYZ-RC

Cadet
Haven't had a chance to get to the boat yet to address this, but I was thinking (always dangerous). The leak appears to be between the adapter and the elbow. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just remove the fittings and solder that joint?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you dont solder pipe fittings.

its a standard weather-head fitting. available at Napa, or any parts store.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
I have had good luck with gasket sealant for the threads. You don't want to use Teflon tape because the treads are the electrical ground for the sending unit.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
OMC gasket sealer, Merc perfect seal or Permatex Aviation. You don't need a lot, just a bit on the threads. Agree on NO Teflon tape.

YYZ-RC

Cadet
Small update; the elbow was actually cracked at the top of the threads and when I tried to remove it, it broke. So that explains the leak. Working on getting a replacement as the OEM elbow is on back order through VP.