Need a new motor

jester108

Recruit
I have a 2001 Monterey with a 5.7 gsi Volvo penta. I lost compression in cylinders 4 and 6. Pulled the head and found a bad head and bad block, burnt a valley between the cylinders. My question is where is the best place to get a long block?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The issue is called fire slotting. Happens when the head gasket fails and you keep running it

Do you want new, reman or used?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you can pull a 350 from a 1996 or newer pickup truck for about $300 from a wrecking yard, spend $10 on brass core plugs and $100 on marine head gaskets and be into a used motor for under $450

you can buy a GM crate motor longblock for about $1800

you can buy all new parts and assemble yourself a stroker for about the same amount

jester108

Recruit
That's what I'm thinking of doing is a stroker. I saw a post that had a link to a motor site that was selling long blocks for 1800.00 but can't seem to find it again hence why I posted myself. So the head gasket and the brass core plugs are the only difference with a marine block and a vehicle block? Thanks for the info.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
just google GM crate motor....plenty of them out there, including your local GM dealer.

if your going to build a stroker, you can either buy the HT383 GM long block (already done) or you can buy new GM block, scat rotating assembly, new GM vortec heads and a comp cams K-kit. only machining you would need to do is modify the vortec heads for screw in studs and larger lift (about $100)