4.3 raw water pump salvage

Chuckd91

Seaman Apprentice
Ive got a 94 4.3 volvo penta setup with a Vbelt driven raw water pump on the lower starboard side. Ive disassembled it to see if it can be saved. The rear housing looks fine but i think the front is shot. Ive removed the impeller and thin plate and can see the shaft and bearings now. What keeps water from entering the shaft tube and bearing from behind the impeller and plate?

Chuckd91

Seaman Apprentice
[No message]

Attachments

• photo296373.jpg
    photo296373.jpg
    762.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo296374.jpg
    photo296374.jpg
    870.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo296375.jpg
    photo296375.jpg
    838 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if the pump housing wasnt severely rusted, I would say easy rebuild. however with the amount of rust pitting and flaking, I would recommend a new pump and pulley

I would also recommend pulling the motor and checking your oil pan. that much rust on the water pump, guarantee your oil pan is about to rust thru.

Chuckd91

Seaman Apprentice
This boat had been left outside with the plug in it by some moron and filled with water up to the crankshaft. It has obviously wiped out the external parts. The manifold was removed with a 6” stainless wedge and 8lb hammer and the external head bolts had to be cut off. But inside the engine is like brand new and is in the machine shop now getting tweeked a little. Whats the best place to find a new pump? They are really proud of all the ones ive found so far! Lol

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Look on ebay for a used one to put new bearings and seals in. Yes thet are proud. BOAT is an acronym

If the boat sat that long with water that high, high probability that the transom and stringers and flotation foam are water logged

Chuckd91

Seaman Apprentice
Oh yea. Transome survived but the floor, foam, and most stringers/bulkheads are shot. Just tore them out today. Good fun.