97 Volvo Penta 5.7L GLPLKR I/O Parts help

trailshredder

Petty Officer 1st Class
Boat took on a lot of water and shop says I need a Starter, Starter Relay and Breaker. Can someone help me find the right parts for my boat? Service manual available online? Thanks!

trailshredder

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ended up finding an ARCO starter locally. Can get engine to turn now, starts and runs for about a second. Won't stay running though. Won't even stay running on starting fluid. I checked that each spark plug wire was seeing juice with a timing light. I have one cylinder that will light the timing light near the cap but not near the plug? Is this a sign of a weak/dying coil? What else would be causing the engine to fire but not stay running?

alldodge

Staff member
I think you should have the Delco ESt distributor, Don't see it being the coil, it hardly ever is.

Start by checking for 12V on the Purple wire connected to the coil with the key ON. If there is 12V then remove distributor cap and see what rotor and cap look like.

Then test pickup coil illustrated below

EST Dist Coil.jpg

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Volvo used a prestolite distributor on a lot of engines, strictly a mechanical advance.
It dies as soon as you let go of the key?

alldodge

Staff member
Using link in post 2
GL-A uses something like a prestolite
GL-B thru E use EST

prestolite
s-l640.jpg

EST

IB00230396.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yes, it will kinda stay running as I am cranking.

Kinda sounds like your man overboard switch is not connected.

The assist solenoid supplies power to the coil while cranking. This is done to prevent voltage drops through your ignition switch during cranking.

Check for voltage at the coil when the ignition is turned on and while cranking to test this theory.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
According to my Volvo "LK" manual, you have the Presolite distributor. Only the fuel injected models in 5.7 had the Delco EST.

trailshredder

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there a way to temporarily by-pass my man overboard safety switch? It has 4 wires going to it. 3 purple and a black. I assume black is ground. 2 purples have 12V and other purple has no power.

alldodge

Staff member
Is there a way to temporarily by-pass my man overboard safety switch? It has 4 wires going to it. 3 purple and a black. I assume black is ground. 2 purples have 12V and other purple has no power.

Never seen a kill switch with a ground but VP does things differently often. I would guess that all Purple will have 12V and when switch is pulled (flipped) it removes power to the one lead and grounds it. If it does ground the one lead it cannot just be jumped.

Check continuity between ground and the one lead

trailshredder

Petty Officer 1st Class
Still battling this! I bought a new switch but not totally sure I am connecting it right. Attached are the instructions and a pic of my wires. The only way I can hook it up so it doesn't blow my ignition fuse is the ground and purple wire that goes to the ignition is on "I" (ignition) on the kill switch and the other 2 that go to the engine bay (coil and ?) hooked up to "M" (magneto). Still just starts and runs until I release the switch. I will try Bruce's coil test when I get some more fuses.
IMG_20180719_193255385.jpg20180719_185016.jpg

trailshredder

Petty Officer 1st Class
Dodge, Your link is a starter switch. The switch I have is a man overboard kill switch.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Something is a miss
A I/O needs a solid connection when running and a break when not or man overboard. So connect wiring so there is a connection when it run, and disconnect when not

trailshredder

Petty Officer 1st Class
Any chance it could be a starter relay or starter breaker. Someone suggested that before I replaced the starter.

trailshredder

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've replaced the starter switch and the starter because at first the engine wasn't even turning over. Someone suggested the starter relay and starter breaker also. Can I rule that out since the engine is turning over now?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Simply disconnect the MOB switch, take the two purple wires and connect them

trailshredder

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Scott, This MOB switch strangely has 4 wires not just 2. 3 are purple and one is black.

alldodge

Staff member
Unable to find the kill switch wiring for a VP, but it works off the same principle. Maybe an easy way to check, turn key ON and measure the Purple wires on the switch. All purple wires should have 12V