Outdrive not completely lowering

cmillig3

Recruit
Have an 08 Chapparral, SSI 180, 4.3 GL.. Volvo Penta SX Outdrive. Trim travels all the way up and about 90 % of the way down. There's about 3" of the hydraulic shaft still needing to go into the cylinder. I topped of the reservoir with fluid, so it moves pretty quick now. Even standing on the tabs (I'm 300 lbs) I can't force it to break free.. Was fine last season when I parked it ..any ideas

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Splash it, 'n use the prop thrust to push it down,.....

kenny nunez

Captain
The only other thing I can think of is to disconnect the rams at the rear anchor point and run the pump. To see which one has the binding problem. You may have to have the rams rebuilt.

cmillig3

Recruit
Thats my next step, at least this way I will now if something is binding or the pump or the rams..Next question..getting the rams disconnected ? I'm sure there's more to it than just pulling the pins out and slipping the the rams of , how to eleviate some of the pressure holding it in place now ?

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
There's a single pin for both actuators at each end. Just wedge something under the drive to take the load off the actuators, remove one of the nuts on either end (there may be a plastic nut cover over the locking nut), then tap the pin out with hammer on a piece of wood so you don't damage the threaded end of the pin. Once separated you should be able to lift the drive up a bit and remove the wedge support and see if the drive drops down all the way with actuators disconnected.

cmillig3

Recruit
Took both rams off and discovered that the drive will lower all the way down.. also that only one ram is working. The one that works full extends and retracts, the other ram neither extends or retracts and gets stuck at the leaving about 3" left to go in. So my my thinking now is theres a blockage somewhere in the line on the one side or I have a faulty cylinder. I'm thinking to test I could swap lines from the side that is working .. any other thought moving on from here..the faulty ram seems stuck.