xdp drive u-joint part number ......hummmm

elchiefo

Cadet
Hi guys...searching fot the u-joint part number....wondering if sierra 18-2174 will fit....some say yes and some say no...confusing

Thalasso

Commander
Look on the u-joint for a stamped number No service parts are offered for the newer SX/DP-S/XDP u-joint. volvo penta Bulletin P-44-1-5

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... If there's no numbers on the part, Mic it up, 'n go by measurements,....

There used to be a part number interchange in the Adults Only Section,.... ain't looked in awhile,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if your unable to match it, take it to your local driveline shop. they live and breath u-joints.

kdiddle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the DP-SM with the 'non-servicable' driveshaft. I'm not certain if you're is identical, but I found this link on iboats (https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...ives/376326-grrrrrrrrr-wrong-universal-spyder) that provided the sierra part 18-6406 and besides being a total PITA to install, they worked like a champ with no vibration whatsoever.

There's a picture in the thread that shows the difference between the two.

kdiddle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I should clarify my statement about it being a PITA - it was no more difficult than a regular cardan u-joint except for the last one that you have to wrestle the entire lower unit to get it in a position where you can tap the caps in. If you're familiar with the process of juggling the spider and end caps (and avoiding spilling needle bearings everywhere) its a straight forward procedure.

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
Volvo penta say everything is non-serviceable......they lie

kdiddle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i hate being the bearer of bad news, but you can't tell the condition of the u-joints upon visual inspection. You can tell if they're smooth and non-binding, but I've heard of folks on here say their u-joints were smooth as silk and chased a noise until they finally replaced them.

Since you already have the drives apart, you might as well replace them both. its not a matter of if they'll wear out, but simply a matter of when.